Mechanical Engineering GPA

What is the required gpa to get into mechanical engineering after the first common year? what is lowest (who got lucky)? I know it is very competitive so…

I spoke to an advisor and was told that none of the transfers for fall 2016 in mechanical engineering had below a 3.8

@gigemhopeful, Are you speaking of transfers only?

Stats for the Spring 2016 ETAM application term have been released. See https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2016-admission-cycle

This states the average GPA of those accepted into ME for the Spring 2016 application term was 3.3 (ranging from 2.5 to 4.0).

Transfer admission rates are not addressed here.

@NpHighTeK as you can see in the link above Spring 2016 ETAM acceptance GPA’s for all majors were lower than the previous year.

My son knows kids with 3.0+ (< 3.5) GPA’s getting into the more competitive majors like MechE and ChemE. Maybe the number of spots increased with plans to expand engineering numbers. MechE GPA range was as low as 2.5. If you can manage your time wisely a 3.5 is possible. A 3.0 is definitely possible.

I think the Spring 2016 ETAM data gives all those hesitating to apply to A&M engineering hope that they can get into their first choice major. In addition, you get a year to decide which engineering major you want (unlike other schools like UT where you better be sure you want the engineering major you get into and will only be able to transfer if you have an extremely high GPA and if space is available). At A&M you also have the flexibility of adding minors in other engineering or computer science.

Most of all A&M has a wonderful family spirit on campus and between Aggies. They look out for and help each other. I felt UT had more of an individual and competitive spirit (although excellent engineering and opportunities- just like A&M). My older son graduated from UT engineering and I have a younger one at A&M.

(I mentioned UT because for engineering in Texas many top students decide between UT and A&M)

I probably should have stated in the question but this is not for transfer. Im talking about after the first general year.

@lee6666 - thanks. That is what i was looking for…I’ll make a new thread in case someone else is looking for it…

@tr4metwo Thank you very much.

Yeah I applied to both but my act was a little low (im taking it again here in a little but they might put me in AeroE instead of MechE before my new score comes in i heard) so im looking at A&M as well. Of course the entry to major and competitiveness of MechE is why it is my second choice
Great to know they are both engineers…Speaking of which is there anything specific that i should know about attending either one of the colleges? Any advice they could give?