Mechanical or Materials Engineering: UCSD, UCSB, Cal Poly SLO?

Hello all,

I am interested in applying to two out of the three schools above for a major in engineering, most likely ME or MSE. I’m a senior from Illinois. I already did a chance me thread and know that I have a very good chance of getting into all three schools but I want to know which ones have the best MSE and ME undergrad programs.

Here are my academic stats.
ACT: 33 comp, 35 math, 35 english, 31 reading, 30 science, 9 on the writing
AP Scores: 5’s on APUSH and AP Lang, 4’s on AP Physics 1 and 2
Weighted GPA 4.37, unweighted 3.89
Taking AP Physics C, AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Gov and AP Macroeconomics this year.

Please help!

All UCs will give you a comparably similar education when it comes to engineering/other majors in general in the sense that a bright UCSD engineering student would not be a lot more knowledgable than a bright UCSB engineering student. What it really comes down to is the school’s reputation in the eyes of the employers. Bearing what I said prior in mind, UCSD is highly respected in the engineering field and would be the best school out of the three you mentioned.

You are a very strong candidate but, you’ve selected 3 very competitive schools. You have a very good shot at admission to at least one of them. Nonetheless, I’d encourage you to apply more broadly - perhaps included UCSC and SDSU.

Good luck