Medical Scholars Program

<p>How competitive is this program?
How many people actually get in of those that are invited to it?</p>

<p>There are not alot of resources to help me understand what you need in order to get accepted into it????</p>

<p>Any information about the program, or even answers to the questions posed above would be greatly appreciated. </p>

<p>The Med Scholars Program is one the many reasons why I am choosing to attend UM next year. </p>

<p>I really hope its not a lost cause like the Northeastern-Tufts early assurance.</p>

<p>you need to take certain classes the 1st 2 years of your undergrad (premed reqs- i think you need to complete all of them by then)
ive heard they accept about 7 kids a year…very competitive
keep in mind that even if you’re accepted, you still need to maintain your GPA and take the mcat (and get a 30)</p>

<p>To get invited to apply you need at least a 1300 SAT or 30 ACT (or something like that) and a 3.7GPA. You have to complete all of the pre-reqs by the end of your third year… because that’s when you’ll be beginning medical school classes if you are admitted.</p>

<p>I’ve been curious about this program too and what it offers. I’m going to be a transfer this coming fall, so I doubt I’ll be in PRISM or this. I’m still curious as to how the program works, etc. Any feedback would be great!</p>

<p>I’ll revive this thread after 7 months of inactivity. My S, currently a freshman, is very interested in the program. He most likely will be asked to apply next year. Does anyone have more insight into the requirements? For a given class, how many students apply, how many get interviews, and how many are accepted? Any insight is appreciated.</p>

<p>Dear racquetdad,
Did your S get selected? We are going to be in same situation this year. Please advise!</p>

<p>belkin, my S won’t be eligible for the program until his 2nd year at Miami. My understanding is that sometime during the 2nd year students are asked to apply and they will know by the end of that year if they are accepted into the program.</p>

<p>Can I be eligible if I were to transfer from a state college?</p>

<p>My daughter was invited to reply. Info is difficult to come by. Does anyone know anything else about it?</p>

<p>malaml - Long time no see here on CC! Your posts were so helpful to us a year ago when scholarship award discussions were hot and heavy on this board : )</p>

<p>Rankinr wrote a longer post on a pre-med thread here way back in Feb 2011 about the program :</p>

<p>"Coleonarole, I don’t mean to partially hi-jack your thread, but I thought I’d reply to ZapadniyRus since he asked a question about the program to which I’m currently applying.</p>

<p>Zapadniy, the program you’re thinking about is the Medical Scholars Program. UM has two early entrance to medical school programs. One is the HPME program, which you apply to out of high school, and which I can’t tell you much about.</p>

<p>The other is the Medical Scholars Program, which you apply to in your sophomore year at the University. If, at the end of your freshman year, you have an overall GPA and a science GPA greater than 3.7, and your SAT/ACT scores were greater than 1300/31, you’re invited to the apply to the program in the spring of your second year. If you don’t have those stats at that time, you cannot apply.</p>

<p>In order to apply to the program, you need to get three recommendations from UM professors, and can optionally get two recommendations from others. After you submit your application, they may or may not invite you to an interview.</p>

<p>If you get in to the program, you’re guaranteed a spot in the Miller School of Medicine’s class as long as you maintain an overall GPA and science GPA greater than 3.7, graduate with your degree, and you score a 30 or higher on the MCAT. Additionally, as long as you complete all the class requirements, you’ll begin taking classes at the medical campus a year early (so, starting in your senior year). If you wish to postpone entrance into medical school, you can request to do so (which I may do if I get accepted, because I’d like to complete both of my degrees)."</p>

<p>Perhaps he knows more at this point and you PM him? He’s headed for law school soon, not med school, but might have more learned more about the Medical Scholars program than he knew prior to applying when he posted that.</p>

<p>Congrats Malaml - my son also received this invitation to apply. There’s very limited information out there on the program. He was wondering if you get selected, are you locked in to Miller? He’s not quite ready to commit to a med school yet. Does anyone know?</p>

<p>VHFather -we missed you at the Hampton in August! So nice to see people from last year posting here again : ) Hope we can all meet next time - perhaps at pickup in the spring.</p>

<p>Congrats to you too VHFather. That was one of the questions I had also. I’m not really sure what the benefit is to the student other than guarenteed acceptance in a medical school.(which I realize is no small thing!). The other thing that concerns me is that you loose your UM scholarship money,as you are no longer a UM student but a student in the medical school.</p>

<p>Thanks Illinimom - I had a crazy time that week. I’m counting on not needing to come down for pick up, as my son will be keeping his apartment for next year. Nothing to move!!</p>

<p>Malaml - there’s a lot of value to having an early acceptance into medical schools, especially these days! I guess I’ll need to find out when you transition out of undergrad, and into Med school. It’s a good question for them to ask at that meeting on the 11th.</p>

<p>Wish Rankinr was still around to answer some questions…</p>

<p>VHFather - Sorry we’ll miss you then! BTW, Rob responds to emails very quickly : )</p>

<p>I think I found the answer in the documentation:</p>

<ol>
<li>If you accept our offer of admission to the Medical Scholars Program at the University of Miami, you may not apply to any other LCME-accredited medical schools without the written consent of the associate dean for admissions. If you accept our offer and then decide to apply to other LCME-accredited medical schools, we will rescind our offer of admission to the first year medical class that was provisionally granted to you and treat you as a regular applicant to the medical class.</li>
<li>You must clearly understand that AMCAS already has been informed that the Medical Scholars Program and the Honors Program in Medicine at the University of Miami are “restricted” programs. As a consequence of this “restricted” status, AMCAS will not permit you to apply to any other medical school without the written consent of the associate dean for admissions at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.</li>
<li>If students elect (and receive permission from the</li>
</ol>