Mediocre GPA/ Average SAT/ Early Decision?

<p>Chances of getting in for Early Decision?</p>

<p>GPA: 3.47</p>

<p>SAT: 1850</p>

<p>Reading:550 Math:680 Writing :620
-Still awaiting third SAT Test</p>

<p>Private School
Varsity Lacrosse
Taking 3 AP's Senior Year (Environmental Science, Psychology, Government)</p>

<p>Both parents went to Virginia Tech</p>

<p>Getting a Letter of Recommendation from a man with a scholarship in his name at VA Tech</p>

<p>Will getting really good grades Senior year help a lot?</p>

<p>Probably just going to apply to University Studies (probably wouldnt make it into Engineering)</p>

<p>Here is how you stack up against the freshman class. When GPA is lower than the SAT it may give the impression that a student is not working to their ability. So, work on the GPA. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Sorry I left off the link: [What</a> We Look For | Applying as a Freshman](<a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/freshman/what_do_we_look_for.php]What”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/freshman/what_do_we_look_for.php)</p>

<p>so trying to get my grades up this semester is pretty much the only thing i can do? And i probably wont be able to get into engineering school which is where i wanna go so is going undecided give me a better chance of getting in?</p>

<p>Is that GPA weighted? If so its looking pretty grim. Are you female or some ethnicity that isn’t white or Asian?</p>

<p>Either way I’d apply to engineering if that’s what you want. It is possible for them to say no to admission into engineering but offer you university studies.</p>

<p>yeah the gpa is weighted… pretty bad eh? but my freshman year gpa wasnt added into my cumulative gpa because i transferred to a private school my sophomore year. I should ask my counselor why it isn’t added to my cumulative. But yeah I am an asian male… (great…). Would getting good grades this first quarter help me at all?</p>

<p>It’ll help, but you’ll be a reach either way.</p>

<p>just got my october sat score. </p>

<p>=1980
Reading: 670
Math: 670
Writing: 640</p>

<p>This makes my combined SAT score a 1990.</p>

<p>make a difference or am i still a reach?</p>

<p>I would still try, but VT admissions is so numbers driven that your GPA will still put you in the reach category. There are just so many that will be applying that have both-strong SAT’s and high GPA’s. If you feel there is special reason that your GPA is so low you can try to plead your case.</p>

<p>Would your freshman GPA make a difference in your cumulative GPA? Your SAT scores are solid. And you have the child of alumni factor. So all is not lost.</p>

<p>i always went to public school and then i transferred to a private school sophomore year so I dont know if that would be a legitimate reason for the low gpa. Private school does seem tougher so i guess i can say that. And my freshman gpa was like a 3.6? So it would help my gpa if it were added.</p>