Meeting an admissions advisor

My son has an opportunity to visit his admission advisor in a neighboring town for our region. He is excited to be able to meet them in person as they were unavailable during our campus visit. My question is do I send him by himself or do I go with him?

We sent my daughter alone to meet admissions officers

1 Like

Is it some sort of group admissions presentation? If so, read the small print. Often it is okay for parents to attend. That said, I would leave any one on one conversation to the student and the AO.

1 Like

If the meeting will be in a public place (eg. Starbucks, a diner etc.) then going alone is fine. All of D’s AO meetings were in a public venues (or in the Admissions Office).

Alone if it’s a first visit. Let him build the relationship. Keep your questions for after he is accepted.

I was in charge of admissions at a grad school, and I had no issue with parents sitting in on meetings with students.

Parents go with to grad school admissions? My kids would kill us if we tried :rofl:

Alone and have some questions to ask. Great that he’s excited.

Absolutely, although mostly just for the students coming right after undergrad (most of our students were older). I always let them know that I would only talk with the student once they enrolled. I didn’t waiver on that rule.

1 Like