Merit aid changes coming?

<p>Are there any early indications as to whether Alabama will change or tighten its generous automatic merit aid awards program next year?. I know Alabama has been incredibly successful attracting top students because of it. Maybe too successful?</p>

<p>We don’t know. There was a change to the NMF scholarship, and the Alumni Crimson Scholarship this year. I would think that it is a possibility and prepare by getting the highest ACT/SAT scores as possible, I would encourage my student to aim for a point or two higher on the ACT than the current score listed, and the best possible score on the SAT.</p>

<p>It’s too early to know. Decisions are usually made between May and mid-summer.</p>

<p>If I’m an admitted incoming freshman with a merit scholarship (presidential), is there a possibility of the changes affecting my merit aid package or is it guaranteed for my four years?</p>

<p>It’s guaranteed for your four years. Don’t worry. :)</p>

<p>Finger crossed for DD! She will be applying in July. We are praying that a 32 on the ACT is still good for the full tuition scholarship! She will take it twice more before July to ensure the best score. In her mind she is already part of the Crimson Tide so we are really hoping nothing changes!</p>

<p>Now that my DD has FINALLY committed to Bama for the Fall, I have a Sophomore Son who wants to be a band teacher . . . and the Million Dollar Band would be fantastic for him!!! I think he can get the 32, just hoping the scholarship is around in 2 years!!</p>

<p>My daughter, who is a junior, sure hopes the requirements for the scholarships don’t change either, since she plans to join my son at UA! Like NC Mom’s daughter, my daughter already feels like she is part of the Bama family - She has plenty of houndstooth items to prove it, too! And like Christine F’s son, my daughter is hoping to join the MDB, except she dreams of being a part of the colorguard. We plan to attend this year’s auditions so that she will know what to expect when she auditions the following year. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’ve been predicting this for awhile. It’s all basic economics. As demand grows, supply dwindles, and the cost goes up. They can’t even house everybody… and the 248 NMF’s was a surprise to the administration (no matter what they say to the contrary).</p>

<p>Time to expand Bryant-Denny Stadium. We need more revenue. :)</p>

<p>Proud Bama Mama -
What a great idea! When are the tryouts? I will be in T-town with my daughter for move-in and the Sorority Recruitment for the week, maybe I should check out the band and atleast video some of it for my son! Anyone know of dates??</p>

<p>Since many of these scholarships are funded through proceeds gained through NCAA football merchandise, continued athletic success is our friend!</p>

<p>Roll Tide, and purchase only NCAA official merchandise!</p>

<p>Also, my impression is that UA is not satisfied being “middle of the pack”. I believe they will continue to strive for a top notch student body, top notch faculty, and elevated prestige in the academic community. I do not believe that UA feels they have “maxed out” their potential in these areas. Continuing the scholarships is one way they will continue to make these gains. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Also, my impression is that UA is not satisfied being “middle of the pack”. I believe they will continue to strive for a top notch student body, top notch faculty, and elevated prestige in the academic community. I do not believe that UA feels they have “maxed out” their potential in these areas. Continuing the scholarships is one way they will continue to make these gains</p>

<p>Exactly… I think Bama’s ultimate goal is to be ranked somewhere in the 50s. Chancellor Witt is a business genius. He’s laid the foundation and set the direction. Bama just needs to stay the course.</p>

<p>I’ve been predicting this for awhile. It’s all basic economics. As demand grows, supply dwindles, and the cost goes up. They can’t even house everybody… and the 248 NMF’s was a surprise to the administration (no matter what they say to the contrary).</p>

<p>What have you been predicting? that the Presidential scholarships will change? </p>

<p>Bama has never been able to “house everyone.” </p>

<p>I’m sure the number of NMFs was a surprise. The number has more than doubled in recent years.</p>

<p>*I do not believe that UA feels they have “maxed out” their potential in these areas. Continuing the scholarships is one way they will continue to make these gains. *</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>it’s not just about how many NMF they have. My DS was not a NMF but had a 34 ACT so he has the free tuition scholarship. While it would be nice if they left it at 32. I think it going to depend on how many OOS kids they have that qualify at 32. A 32 ACT is in the 98 percentile, a 33 is the 99 percentile. Both are fantastic scores but the question is how many free tuitions can UA afford? It would be interesting to know how many free tuitions they have this year compared to a couple years ago.</p>

<p>I think it is fair to assume that an OOS student with a 32 ACT would likely go elsewhere (much more likely to attend own flagship)if the merit incentive at Alabama is removed. I hope it is kept in place.</p>

<p>Around here, it is the kids with 32^ ACT who WANT to get away from the IS flagship! </p>

<p>I do agree though, that the OOS numbers would be affected by any significant increase in merit requirements - don’t know if that is a good or bad thing, but I think the idea is realistic.</p>

<p>Because of the Hope and Zell Miller Scholarship I think it would be much more difficult for Georgia students to come to Bama if the 32 ACT full tuition scholarship was changed. My kids were thrilled to have other options besides UGA and GT. They both actually preferred some of the smaller GA schools when we toured, but Bama was always their first choice and the very generous merit scholarships made it possible! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I agree with slippy. This has been coming. </p>

<p>While the football gives us the scholarship dollars, it also makes the university appealing to those who are willing to pay full freight.</p>

<p>My alma mater tripled its tuition for my third year, after the football team went to a bowl game. What used to be an affordable private school became a school for rich kids. Nowadays, they have a lot more scholarships available to students, thanks to the football income, but in the early stages, those of us who were there on the partial scholarships they gave had to graduate early if we could, as we were not able to fund a fourth year. If you had a half tuition scholarship, with the tuition raise, the cost of attending became out of reach. But, those who wanted to go to a football school and could afford it had no problem ponying up the money.</p>

<p>For the Southern kids, who, as of now, have lots of nearby choices with good merit packages, those that may have otherwise gone to Bama will look elsewhere.</p>

<p>Now, if you could get the kids to visit and see the benefits of the campus, one might be persuaded otherwise.</p>