Merit Aid?

<p>How much money would someone with stats like mine receive? I have a 4.2W GPA (out of 4.75) w/1310 SAT Score (out of 1600). I want to apply for engineering or business, not positive yet. </p>

<p>I really would like to apply to UA but I don’t think I’d be able to attend unless I got like 10,000 in scholarships, which I don’t think will happen. How much do you think I could get? Thanks.</p>

<p>P.S., I’m from NY.</p>

<p>pbojkner,</p>

<p>Here’s the page you’re looking for:</p>

<p>[Out-of-State</a> Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html]Out-of-State”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html)</p>

<p>Did you take the ACT?</p>

<p>Yup, I got a 29 though which is the same that my SAT converts to. Kind of stinks that if I scored 1 point higher I would have got an extra $10,000. Oh well, they have to make the cut-off somewhere. Thanks for your help, though.</p>

<p>You’ll get a little more $$$ with Engineering:</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> - Undergraduate Students - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/]Scholarships”>Scholarships – College of Engineering | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>You should apply to both Miss State and Alabama NOW…and then if you get a larger scholarships from MSU, then show it to Bama and see if they’ll match it.</p>

<p>Do they often match scholarships? Is that just with Miss. State? I did get 17.5k/year from Tulane. Thanks in advance for any help!</p>

<p>Bama has considered other schools’ scholarships. </p>

<p>Since your SAT score is only 10 points below what’s needed for UA Scholar, Bama would be more likely to consider other schools’ scholarships.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t ONLY use the Tulane scholarship since their tuition is a LOT higher, so the scholarship still leaves you with a high cost. I would use the Tulane scholarship, but I would ALSO use one from Miss State which would likely be …</p>

<p>Four-year award (eight semesters)
•Priority Date: December 1
•Award: Starting at $4,000
•Criteria:
◦Competitive ACT/SAT
◦Above average high school GPA
◦Excellent leadership and service activities</p>

<p>Freshman Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship
Top of Page
Four-year award (eight semesters)
•Priority Date: December 1
•Award: Ranging from 50% to 100% of the non-resident portion of tuition
•Criteria:
◦Competitive ACT/SAT
◦Above average high school GPA
◦Excellent leadership and service activities</p>

<p>Miss State would likely offer your BOTH of the above…which combine for about $10k or so. You’d get more from MSU if you list engineering as your major.</p>

<p>You’d also end up getting more from Bama if you list engineering as your major.</p>

<p>If your’e going to major in engineering, then this should be your goal: Get Bama to match another school’s offer and give you the UA Scholar…THEN…Engineering will increase that scholarship to FULL TUITION and give you 2500 per year. HUGE…worth over $95,000 total.</p>

<p>Get your app into Bama and MSU…then submit the scholarship apps…</p>

<p>You’ve been a great help, and for the record I did apply to one school that is about on bama/MSU level; Oklahoma State (don’t really want to go there but I have family there), and received 10,000/year.</p>

<p>I’ll definitely do what you say, but do you think that scholarship from OSU could accomplish the same thing?</p>

<p>And how do I get them to match it? Is there a spot on the scholarship application?</p>

<p>It might help, but I think a combo of Tulane, Miss St, and the OSU one would make a difference. </p>

<p>Bama is ranked significantly higher than OSU and MSU, but those 2 scholarships combined with the Tulane one should get you more money from Bama.</p>

<p>I’m confused as to where I tell them that I received the other scholarships? Is there a spot for it somewhere on the application? Thanks again?</p>

<p>No, there is no spot on the app.</p>

<p>Once you have such offers in hand, you should contact the head of scholarships and the director of admissions (Mary Spiegel). You’ll fax in copies of your offers along with a letter stating that you’d really like to come to Bama but you can’t afford to without a larger scholarship. You mention what you’ve rec’d from other schools and include those copies.</p>

<p>Thanks, I hope this could work because Alabama was originally my top choice but then I didn’t apply there as I didn’t think I could get enough money.</p>

<p>EDIT: Also just realized I’ve been posting on my friends account, haha.</p>

<p>Well, you better apply NOW because there will be a delay in getting the “follow up email” which will have your log-on info so you can submit the scholarship app.</p>

<p>If you apply and send test scores TODAY, and put in your request for transcripts at your school tomorrow, then you should get your follow-up email by Tuesday. THEN submit the scholarship app…which must be done by Thursday.</p>

<p>Are they likely to match a scholarship from UAB or a WUE from Washington State?</p>

<p>They may not match a WUE, but they might match UAB since you’re OOS.</p>

<p>YOU have to APPLY by TODAY!!!</p>

<p>What UA scholarship do you qualify for now?</p>

<p>I already applied but I only qualify for the 3500$… I got a 29.</p>

<p>When u get your uab offer show it to bama</p>

<p>When I went to a local college fair and talked to the SUNY schools, I was shocked that they offer NOTHING for high achieving students. “We think we are a really great deal” I was told. (By Geneseo). They are smug and arrogant.
My experience applying to Bama is a totally different story. 1) The application is painless 2) I have received PERSONAL e mails about missing items. 3) I was quickly accepted, and daily I have received documents with instructions as to all of the possible scholarship possibilities. 4) My portal information, log on info etc. came immediately. I can’t believe that a school 10 times the size of some of our SUNY’s can do things so much better.
And how brilliant is it to offer free, or nearly free rides to overachieving, high stats kids? Many of those kids will stay in the area after graduation, and sooner rather than later, Alabama will be a high tech, business start up boom state. It is too bad the SUNY’s in particular just don’t get it. If you do not offer a deal to the best and the brightest, they will pack up and move out of the state.</p>

<p>with a 29 act you will get 15K per year from uab (against a lower cost overall)…if you say a 29 is worth 3500.00 at ua ,thats a pretty big difference to ask them to match…i guess its worth trying as they are in the same system</p>

<p>Olipond: Univ. at Buffalo does have a complete full ride offer (inclusive of tuition, room, board, books and fees -everything.) It is their Presidential Scholarship.
[UB</a> Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012: Honors College](<a href=“University at Buffalo - Acalog ACMS™”>University at Buffalo - Acalog ACMS™)
Our D was offered it last year but chose UA over UB.
They also implemented this scholarship last year for grad school…if a top undergrad engineer/Presidential Scholar UB will pay right through your PhD! [Top</a> UB Engineering Students Won’t Pay a Dime From Freshman Year Through the PhD - UB NewsCenter](<a href=“http://www.buffalo.edu/news/12074]Top”>Top UB Engineering Students Won't Pay a Dime From Freshman Year Through the PhD - University at Buffalo)
I have to agree with you that the majority of SUNY’s do not offer nearly what UA does.
UB’s scholarships in my opinion are not well known to our high school guidance counselors and seem to be a well kept secret. I have to say on our D’s visit to UB’s Honors College we were treated equally as well as we were at UA, D went to classes, we were taken to lunch, appointments had been made w/both academic and athletic-academic advisors, private tour of the college by an Honors Director and a private tour by an Honors Student of the dorms…a very well thought out day. We honestly went to rule it out as it was the only SUNY who has w/a D1 sports program D is involved in…why she put it on her list. We came away very impressed and in the end a kid who had said for many years she would go to college in Boston…UB and UA went to the top of her list. UA’s beautiful campus, weather, the people, athletic opportunity for her, UFE opportunity etc., won out. But please if you know strong academic kids who are more inclined to stay in NY/particularly if looking at Engineering pass the info along!</p>