Merit Aid

<p>How is merit aid at VT for freshman applicants? Would I be eligible for any merit aid with a GPA of 3.667 and an ACT score of 31?</p>

<p>Curious too, my D got merit aid from several other schools, but we don't know about VT process.</p>

<p>stone_cutter what major are you</p>

<p>First-year engineering; I submitted the General Scholarship application</p>

<p>Hi stone_cutter,</p>

<p>You have done all you can do by submitting your general scholarship app; now it is up to the FA office. Even though when you think of merit awards being determined by well, merit, what you have accomplished academically, I still think the FA office looks at a family's financial information to help determine any merit awards. (you need to have all of the FAFSA information submitted by March 11 in order to be eligible for any scholarship consideration).</p>

<p>FWIW, last year my s received a $3500 unsubsidized Stafford loan offer from VT when he entered Tech. His stats were 4.0 GPA and a 30 on his ACT. (we are in state) Historically, VT doesn't offer much to freshman in the way of pure merit aid, but it never hurts to try. He will keep on submitting the General Scholarship paperwork as long as he is there. Maybe we will both get lucky! Best wishes to you!</p>

<p>
[Quote]
FWIW, last year my s received a $3500 unsubsidized Stafford loan offer from VT when he entered Tech. His stats were 4.0 GPA and a 30 on his ACT. (we are in state) Historically, VT doesn't offer much to freshman in the way of pure merit aid, but it never hurts to try.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>How did he afford the cost of the first year? I'm stressing out over how I'm not gonna be able to attend without getting private loans (which I may or may not be eligible for)...</p>

<p>He/we managed pretty well for the first semester with him using the outside scholarships he was awarded (they ended up paying for most of the first semester tuition, r & b). This semester we have paid for most of it with his help from the money he earned from his job last summer and the loan money. One year at a time on our front......he is working two jobs this summer to help out and as I said before will be combing the scholarship notices every chance he gets.</p>

<p>We are out of state, any idea when they notify? Thanks</p>

<p>This may apply to some here: If you applied for the Dean's/Davenport Scholarships for the College of Engineering (it was a separate merit/departmental application) you should get your result by email on March 16, '09. College</a> of Engineering</p>

<p>What about for general students? Any news?</p>