Merit Based Aid

<p>Does anyone know how much/little merit based aid VT has for out of state students? I am from NY and am wondering if Tech is really going to be affordable or not. I do not receive any type of federal aid.</p>

<p>ya i was wondering the same. also, when do the aid packages come out?</p>

<p>FA package will be received before april 15..that a long way to go</p>

<p>i got some scholarship (merit based) today for 5k, non-renewable. I didnt apply for it and it was given due to outstanding academics. My stats arent even that good as i didnt qualify for the honors college invatation. Im sure more of you will get it too</p>

<p>are you in state? and do you mine sharing some stats?</p>

<p>I'm out of state, I got the same $5k, non-renewable.</p>

<p>afro_ninj4 and F5B6
Had you already accepted your offer of admission and sent in your $400 before you were awarded this scholarship money? Did you apply early or regular decision? What is your major?</p>

<p>esmitty
yea im instate. lets see 1270/1870 SAT, 27 ACT (didnt send), 3.6 uw/4.0 w gpa, pretty good ec's, okay essays i assume. i did the personal statement too</p>

<p>DukeorHokie
no i havent accepted admission yet. Im still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools before I make my decision. I applied RD and my major in environmental science</p>

<p>NICE!! I got it too.... now if i can just have a little more.... I'm hoping for maybe 12-15K including need-based -don't know if thats reasonable or not..... its just that 33k a year is gonna be kinda hard on my fam's wallet.</p>

<p>Did you hear back by email or from the website?</p>

<p>haha 12-15k more for me would be nice for me too because then the college would be paying me to go to their school..</p>

<p>but seriously, need based would be tight. Im in state for itll cost 12.5k-5k (scholarship)= 7,500 total not including need based. Im expecting a fair amount of need based aid though considering i qualified for a pell grant</p>

<p>So where did you guys find out? The scholarship portal is kind of confusing.</p>

<p>email....10 char</p>

<p>when did u get the email?....after ur descision was posted or the day u got ur descsion?....what major?</p>

<p>after. and i got a letter the other day for it too. And engineering.</p>

<p>Got 5K merit scholarship in mail yesterday---nice surprise. Haven't sent back acceptance yet---still weighing</p>

<p>what kind of stats do you guys have?</p>

<p>3.866, 730 CR, 660 Math</p>

<p>has anyone gotten more thank 5k?</p>

<p>does anybody know what the cutoffs are for the merit scholarships?</p>