Merit Hall vs Jorns Hall

<p>Hello all, </p>

<p>I will be a summer student visiting Madison for June until the second week in August. I am visiting from Honolulu, Hawaii and I will be studying languages at SEASSI. My question is about lodging. I have two choices available to me. </p>

<p>Choice #1
Stay in Jorns Hall for my entire time there. The total cost would be around $1,175.00. </p>

<p>Choice #2
Stay in Jorns Hall from June 3rd until June 15th at about $17.00 a day. Then stay in Merit Hall from June 15th to August 9th for $1,210.00. Lastly, stay in Jorns Hall for $17.00 a day from August 9th until August 13th when I fly out. </p>

<p>Jorns Hall:
- closer to Van Hise Hall (+1)
^ From what I have read Jorns Hall is much closer to Van Hise Hall which is the building where I will have class at every day. I could just walk to class everyday.
- cheaper (+1)
^ Choice number one costs $1,175.00. I could stay here for the entire time without moving around. It would save me money and would be more convenient in terms of moving from place to place with all my stuff. (which won't be alot but still)
- less appealing facilities -> communal bathroom, air con ?, no stove, community microwave only (-1) </p>

<p>Merit Hall:
- closer to Memorial Library (+1)
^ My purpose for being in Madison for the summer is to learn foreign languages. I read that this is the best library in Wisconsin for foreign language learning. Obviously, being near this library is a huge plus.
- closer to State Street (+1)
^ I read that State Street is a great place to be close to. I am not sure exactly how close it is or if this location is even
worth considering. But I am young and available so I thought it could possibly be worth looking into...
- slightly better facilities (+1)
^ Merit Hall still has communal bathroom but it has air conditioning and there is a shared kitchen on each floor. Although I am unsure if I should rent or bring my own cooking supplies like pots, pans, and dishes...?
- more expensive and inconvenient overall
^ Choice number two would be about $1482.00 and I would have to move around two or three times. </p>

<p>Some thoughts:
My summer program at the university runs from June 16th until August 8th and this is the only time that the University offers rooms for summer students. I choose to fly out early to get comfortable with Madison a bit first. And I choose to leave a bit later instead of right after classes finish just in case I end up really becoming fond of Madison. I am really into learning languages and I speak quite a number of them kinda conversationally. So, being near the library is something that I am considering. I really don't like eating out since I don't like to trust people I don't know with my food. </p>

<p>For me, it seems like Merit Hall is the choice for me even though it is a bit of a pain that they offer the room for my entire stay since they have to prep the rooms for the academic year when my departure date draws near. I am also thinking about calling Delta and seeing if they will allow me to change my travel date to match Merit Hall's dates that they offered me. I would like to know Madison more before classes start but moving around could be a pain depending on how easy it is to get around Madison for a newbie. </p>

<p>I think I have typed enough for now. I am eager to hear all of your suggestions, thoughts, etc. about which area I should choose and if I should alter my plans/flight for Merit Hall. And anything else you can think of about Madison itself as well since it will be my first time there. Thank you!</p>

<p>Parent of UW student here. Although campus may look spread out on a map, once you are there, you will see it is all pretty accessible, especially during summer weather (in winter, with wind chill, those distances might matter more). You will be walking to Van Hise for class every day, whether you live in Jorn or Merit. </p>

<p>I would think renting a cheapo bike for the summer might make sense, or you could probably find one on craigs list. </p>

<p>If it were me, simpler is best – move in once and stay there. Nothing is so far from anything that you should move dorms just to be closer to a specific building or library. Air conditioning, kitchen facilities – those seem more relevant to a decision. </p>

<p>Someone else who knows Madison summers might be able to say how important air conditioning is. </p>

<p>Have a great summer!</p>

<p>Jorns would be your best bet. You don’t need to study in any particular library on campus, a library only matters for checking out books. The Steenbock Ag library is close to Jorns and the Lakeshore dorms- nice for studying. Jorns is owned by the Ag school and used for their short courses in the fall, it is also used for overflow in Res Halls at the beginning of the school year. It is an easy walk to the lake and the lakeshore path going out to Picnic Point or the Memorial Union and State St. Beautiful area in the summer. Expect to walk everywhere on and around campus- there are hills you may or may not want to bicycle on. Check to see if Jorns offers the air conditioning for summer- many program dorms do even if not available for the school year. </p>

<p>What sort of meal plans are available to you? How much cooking do you plan to do? Plenty of food options close to campus as well.</p>

<p>The UW campus is gorgeous and dynamic. Be sure to check out the freebie magazines and newspapers found at the (privately owned, not part of UW) University Bookstore on State St, across from the Memorial library. Both Unions (Union South is the newer one) and Babcock Hall (near the lakeshore dorms) have great ice cream. The Union Terrace is vibrant with both students and others.</p>

<p>Communal bathrooms are no big deal- especially since the cleaning will be done for you and there is privacy within them. The people you will be living with will also be doing summer programs. There will be several different programs using various dorms on campus.</p>

<p>I would save my money for other things and stay in one place. No matter where you choose to live I’m sure you will enjoy the campus. </p>

<p>@Midwestmomofboys - How cheap of a bike are you referring to? What’s a ‘good’ bike go for there? </p>

<p>@wis75 - About the food, like I mentioned earlier I don’t trust others with my food so I plan on cooking just about every single day. I am thinking of bringing my camp stove along with me with some camping pots and pans. That way I can cook fresh food daily. I’d just have to pick up the fuel somewhere in Madison. </p>

<p>I didn’t see any of you mention the night life scene at all. Is that something that I should be worried about as far as the dorm I choose is concerned? </p>

<p>On the bike, I would encourage you to give yourself a few days to explore campus and see if you feel you need one. There are also bikes that you can rent for just single outings – like a “zip” car, only a bike. You sign up online and pay a few $ to rent, They are parked around campus and hard to miss – racks of gleaming red bikes. My son at UW has a bike but rarely uses it. He walks everywhere. If you decided you really wanted a bike for the whole summer, you could probably pick up a used one at one of the bike shops on Regent St. </p>

<p>I would check on the cooking in the dorm options at Jorn – there are likely to be limits about what you can do in the dorm with heat sources etc. Microwaves are allowed but there are limits on other devices. Depending on your food requirements, there should be a lot of options available – gluten free, etc. – in the dining halls and in local restaurants. If the cooking on your own is a top priority, then double check what the limits are in Jorns, it may be too limiting for your needs and you really should be in Merit to be able to use its kitchen facilities. </p>

<p>As for night life, there is nothing to worry about. State St has great restaurants, in the summer the Memorial Union is busy. Campus really is quite walkable-- if you are taking class in Van Hise, you are right in the middle of it and it will all be accessible. </p>

<p>No reason not to trust Res Halls food, in whichever food service facilities open during the summer. During the regular semesters Res Halls dining facilities are open to the public and even residents pay a la carte (at reduced rates). Excellent and done with locally sourced foods when possible- not outsourced to another concern. Do visit the Farmers Market around the Capitol Square Saturday mornings- just a mile from campus up State St. many different ethnic restaurants on/near State St as well.</p>

<p>Do a Google map search, including street views of the dorm areas and campus area. </p>

<p>Jorns Hall only has one microwave on each floor. That’s it and that’s all that is allowed in the dorms. But its ok though. I can just cook outside. I took a look at Jorns Hall on Google Maps and it is funny that the entire area around Jorns Hall and pretty much any other area I looked at has nice clear pictures from 2011 but only Jorns Hall has crappy quality pictures from 2007. I hope that is not foreshadowing doom for me should I choose that as my summer residence. </p>

<p>But I was going to say that I can just cook outside. I did not see any picnic tables around Jorns Hall so that may be a bit difficult but hopefully it should not be too much of a hassle. I am going to locate the best grocery stores and get accustomed to them as soon as I get there. By ‘best’, I don’t mean organic, rather I mean the grocery that has the most variety regarding exciting ethnic foods (mostly meats!) that I can make new dishes with easily. I just do not trust people with my food whether there in Madison or here at home. Only people I know for the most part. </p>

<p>Not to derail my thread but I must say, the campus looks beautiful from the pictures on Google Maps, wow! Much better than here in Hawaii. But then again we are in Hawaii. I am curious to see how the people are there in Madison on the whole. </p>

<p>I don’t think you should plan on being allowed to cook food outside on university property without getting a definitive answer first. Before you choose Jorns over Merit (Merit has cooking facilities), you should call the housing department and ask (608) 262-2522 about firing up a camp stove on university property.</p>

<p>In addition, the housing website explicitly states that any cooking appliance with an open heating element or exposed heat source is not allowed. This could mean you cannot store such a device in your room despite plans to only use it outside.</p>

<p>Another suggestion would be to sublet an apartment for the summer - then you will have fewer restrictions on cooking food. This could be cheaper than Merit/Jorns. Check craigslist for Madison apartment sublets on campus.</p>

<p>I have been checking sublets on Craigslist Madison for weeks. I have not been able to find anything in which I am able to be alone and have a kitchen and refrigerator. It seems like sharing rooms with people is extremely common there. Unfortunately, that is something that I am not comfortable doing. I am very slightly considering whether I should be open to that type of scene just because it could be a new experience. But then again, I really need privacy since the program I will be doing sounds like it will be pretty in-depth and intensive.</p>

<p>I am still awaiting feedback from Jorns Hall.</p>

<p>There are many many undergrads still looking to sublet their bedrooms in shared apartments. For most students, they move out within the next week, so you would be able to move in whenever you want. Students are slashing rent, bedrooms they are paying $500 a month for, they are willing to rent for $300. You would be sharing common living space with others, so you would want to investigate living choices – smoke free, loud music etc. </p>

<p>If you are on Facebook, you could search for the UW Housing board group. My student used it to advertise his sublet, and I know he has said many of his friends are still trying to sublet their apartments. Higher volume of choices probably than Craigs list. </p>

<p>Ok, I just received word from Jorns Hall that they can not accommodate my entire stay. So, choice #1 is not an option anymore. I may have two options but I honestly think choice #2 is my only option. </p>

<p>The other maybe possible option would be to see if Delta would allow me to change the dates of my flight so I can leave on the 15th of June and return on the 9th of August without any fees. </p>

<p>@Midwestmomofboys - I just do not wish to rent a room. An apartment yes but not a room. I am on facebook and will look at the housing board you mentioned right now. Such a pain finding lodging there in Madison it seems.</p>

<p>@Midwestmomofboys - I do not see anything related to a UW Housing board group that has listing on it. Are you referring to this link: </p>

<p><a href=“UW-Madison University Apartments”>UW-Madison University Apartments;

<p>If that’s not it then I can’t find it. Can you list the link please?</p>

<p>Delta will not allow me to change the flight either without paying a $200.00 change fee. This is annoying. </p>

<p>I wonder if the French House has summer rooms available without a meal plan. OP speaks 7 languages, maybe French is one of them.</p>

<p><a href=“http://uwfrenchhouse.org/rooms/”>http://uwfrenchhouse.org/rooms/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Oh wow! I will call them right now. </p>

<p>How did you guess seven languages? </p>

<p>I think you mentioned it on a different post :)</p>

<p>Ok, I just off the phone with them. They are closed for the summer. Good idea though nonetheless! I called UW Housing dept. and requested that my deadline to pay for the Merit Hall choice #2 option be extended until this weekend. Thankfully, they agreed.</p>

<p>I was thinking that if I do not find anything else in the meantime then I will do choice #2 but I am not sure if it will be in Jorns Hall though. They may not be able to accommodate me and they have been quite sluggish in responding to inquiries as well. I was thinking that maybe I could stay at the only hostel that you all have in Madison during the time that Merit Hall is unavailable. That could be an option, I suppose… </p>

<p>There are outdoor grills on campus that people use from time to time, there used to be some in front of Jorns that were used often. Those might have been removed for the new dorm (Leopold), but there still should be some near Tripp/Adams. They are basic uncovered public grills like you might find at a park or campsite, meant more for a cookout or picnic than daily cooking.</p>

<p>Note that most pictures of Jorns will be outdated by now, as there is a new dorm (Leopold) instead of the parking lot that was nearby. A microwave is allowed in dorm rooms during the school year and I don’t know why that rule would change. </p>

<p>Subletting would be cheaper than either dorm, check Craigslist or look up “NEW UW Madison Sublet and Roommate Board” on Facebook. In an apartment or house you could cook food normally. Most of them are subletting a room with a few other roommates or other sublets that are staying for the summer, and not all are furnished. I assume in the dorms you would be with people who are also taking summer classes, which is a bonus.</p>

<p>The dorms usually have air conditioning units added in summer, though make sure to check. Apartments and houses around campus may not. There will almost certainly be some days in the 90s and some days with a dew point above 70, so at least have a fan. Buildings are generally designed to keep warm instead of stay cool. Don’t forget a raincoat or umbrella either.</p>

<p>As for a bike, it’s not needed to just get around campus but it is helpful, especially for getting to places off-campus or to ride for fun. There is a program called Madison B-cycle that lets people rent bikes for short trips at a cheap price, they appear to have a month-to-month membership as well. <a href=“BCycle”>BCycle;

<p>Some grocery stores near campus are Madison Fresh Market and Capitol Center Market (both to the east of campus), Trader Joe’s (southwest of campus), Copp’s, Meltcafe’s, Target, and Whole Foods (take a bus down University Avenue). There is also a farmer’s market by the capitol every weekend that is well-attended. Full-year students can get a bus pass for free at the beginning of the semester, I’m not sure if summer students do. Campus buses are free (routes 80 through 84). </p>

<p>Not counting Bascom Hill, the Memorial Union terrace, or any grass field, the nearest outdoor/nature spots are are the tiny Muir Woods right along Lakeshore path behind Liz Waters and Social Sciences, the patch of woods ranging from Picnic Point around Eagle Heights to the Eagle Heights woods, and the UW Arboretum which is far larger and to the south of campus. At least pass through the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery, it has indoor plants and is the favorite study spot for some people. </p>

<p>Edit: if you’re staying in a dorm with other people speaking the same language, I’d definitely recommend staying with them instead of a random sublet since you can get more immersed in the language.</p>

<p>Alright, just received an email from Jorns that they can accommodate me. So, I am pretty much set right now. I am just awaiting feedback on if the rooms have AC and if I can bring my camp stove to cook with. If not then I will have no choice but to eat out for the first two weeks and the last week as well. I hope it is amazing if it comes to that.</p>

<p>They said I can use whatever I want outside the building and that there are grills available as well. So, I will bring my camp stove then. Thank you all for the help with this!</p>

<p>I am glad that will work out for you. I was a little surprised that Housing will allow a camp stove - do you have to leave it outside or can you store it in your room when you are not using it (does it run on propane?)</p>