Merit Scholarship Timetable?

<p>My son has applied Early Action to Colorado College, and would love to be admitted and to receive some merit aid. I've checked the website and previous posts on this forum, and couldn't find the answer to his question: when are merit aid decisions announced?</p>

<p>Thanks for any information you can share!</p>

<p>Last year my son got his merit award with his EA acceptance. The envelope arrived just before Christmas. One of his best presents that year!</p>

<p>There are other, specific scholarships that you have to apply for separately that have different deadlines.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your quick response!n My son was happy to hear this.</p>

<p>For fall 2007 admission, the EA decision came in late Dec 2006 with financial info, but without scholarship info which came after Scholars Day in March. S ultimately received two different merit scholarships (one no longer offered) and a new financial letter issued after March that reflected the amounts of those two.</p>

<p>Schokolade- which scholarships are you applying for exactly? When I looked at CC’s merit offerings, they seemed very paltry. Two or three different scholarships that gave only a couple thousand dollars a year (I know every bit helps, but really!) and one super competitive science scholarship. Is there something else I’ve missed? I’m not trying to imply you are wrong at all! I would just be VERY interested to hear about more merit aid!!</p>

<p>There isn’t much offered in terms of merit aid, but CC treats is differently than most schools, at least according to what they told us at the MC Open House.</p>

<p>First, the merit aid is ON TOP OF any need based aid, so it really is treated as merit aid - in other words, it doesn’t just replace part of the need-based aid package. </p>

<p>Second, they make a commitment for all 4 years. They will do their best to match your aid package next year, even if financial circumstances improve for you. If you need more aid, you will get it, but if your calculated need is reduced, that doesn’t mean your aid will be reduced.</p>

<p>As a consequence, you don’t have to think twice about allowing grandparents to contribute toward education expenses, with the fear that the resulting “untaxed income” will increase EFC the following year (any payments made by anyone other than parents or students, that are not scholarships, are counted as the student’s untaxed income on FAFSA).</p>