Merit Scholarship

Has anyone get merit scholarships from Virginia Tech? When should we expect to hear?

I am waiting too. I might call the school.

Financial Aid packages (including scholarships through their office) generally come out in late March/early April. Departmental scholarships (Engineering, Pamplin Honors, etc) have come out around the same time, but it can be sooner depending on how fast they are working. The admissions page states that scholarships and financial aid will come out in March.

As a returning student, I received notification of scholarships as early as March but as late as June.

Since different offices handle different scholarships and generally don’t communicate much with each other, you may have to call multiple places to find out when decisions will be made.

My financial aid report is available now on HokieSpa, and on my application page under the “accepted” status. No word on scholarships yet though.

My financial aid report was online today as well, but underneath there was something that read Hokie Scholarship that would give me $6,000 for my first year at tech. I was kind of hoping for more since I am out of state. Hoping that it is still possible for me to receive another scholarship!

@rockvillegirl28, @HHSHawk, Just wondering, how did you guys access the HokieSpa, did you have to generate a PID or is it a link from the application status page?

@nuhsgrad , yep! You have to create your PID account to get into hokie spa. But my letter is also available on the application status page right under my decision.

Ah, ok. I just checked my portal. I also received the Hokie scholarship, but it is really not enough considering I’m also an OOS applicant. I’d be shelling out around 20k a year in loans which is definitely not something I would be comfortable with. Oh well, thanks so much for the information! Hopefully that’s not it for scholarships from VT. :slight_smile:

can you tell me what your stats where that you received/shows the Hokie scholarship. Should I assume if that isn’t in my portal now, I will not receive that scholarship? It only shows the sub/unsub loan portion.

on my VT account, my financial aid report is also available, but it’s really expensive for me and I’m starting to freak out. Like I can’t afford 14k a year :confused: it stinks cause VT was my top 2 and Idk what to do anymore :frowning:

Where would you see if you received the Hokie Scholarship

@nova19 should be next to your “offered admission” thing on your account

@collegenj‌ I got the Hokie Scholarship (it only says 6k for the first year though) I had a 3.85 unweighted GPA and 4.53 Weighted, 1940 SAT. I have lots of ECs though, not sure if that had anything to do with it. But hopefully they’re still giving more scholarships out!

@collegenj: I also received the scholarship. I have a 3.76 UW / 4.62 W GPA and a 2130 SAT, though my ECs are rather limited.

my stats are a little higher, OOS, but I wonder if its also based on your FAFSA information since their website states they take that into consideration. guess it wasn’t meant to be…congrats on yours!

My financial aid report went up last week too. I’ve been given the 5500 federal loan per year. If that is the only thing that showed up does it mean that I didn’t recieve any merit money or does that come out later? I wasn’t a finalist for the Davenport Engineering scholarship (Engineering major) so that’s out of the picture.

I’m also OOS. Got the $6K for the first year and the option of taking a 5500 federal loan. I’m hoping to get a little more, as my parents will have two kids in college next year.

@newjersey131‌ I’m wondering the same thing. Only 5500 fed loan per year (oos engineering). I have high states (35 ACT, top 5% rank), so I’m certainly hoping I get some more.

@Localdreamer15 I just called the financial aid office about this. The aid you see up now is need-based as according to FAFSA. It could be from government (like the fed loan) or institutional (maybe those 6k one-time grants?). Merit scholarships will be awarded starting on March 23rd and into early April according to the person I spoke with. Best of luck with this and the rest of the college decision process!

If you don’t file a FAFSA, will they still consider you for merit scholarships?