Merit Scholarships at Binghamton?

The merit scholarship came as a letter in the US mail; the finaicial aid informaiton first came as an email. Now the scholarship is included within the total financial aid package that is spelled out in the online portal.

I received my financial aid information yesterday, but have not heard anything about a merit scholarship. I was notified of my acceptance about a month ago. Should I assume that I did not receive merit aid?

Thanks for the speedy reply. For the folks who received Merits, what school did you apply to? Had you accepted the admission offer prior to the scholarship being awarded?

I received the acceptance letter in Feb to Bing. Also an acceptance letter today into the Watson school of Engineering stating only 275 freshmen were accepted this year. My financial aid award package on Binghamton’s website does not list any merit scholarship. I would need it to attend. University at Buffalo has offered me a 4 year 2,500 each year plus financial so my mother is leaning towards UB. Just hope that Binghamton sends their merit scholarships separate by mail. Did anyone receive a merit scholarship notice by mail, after not seeing it listed in their financial aid package online ? thanks

I got a kind of strange letter regarding merit scholarship: according to one I received last week I am getting $1,396 a year from Bing, totaling $5,584 over four years. Why they couldn’t just round it up 4 more dollars is beyond me but since I’m in-state I guess I shouldn’t complain!

2060 SAT
31 ACT
Scholars Program
Applied EA - Harpur for Arabic Studies

Does that merit show on the Financial Aid tab at the Student Info site at BU Brain? Did you see it on there before you got the letter?

Anyone get merit who did not apply for FA?

If I haven’t heard back about merit scholarships yet, should I assume I didn’t get one? Do you think I should call the school and ask, or should I just wait for them to let me know?

@SaphireNY, that’s an interesting question. I’ve been surprised by the merit scholarships mentioned here. I was under the impression that Binghamton didn’t give merit scholarships, as was stated by rebeccar at the beginning of this discussion.

As an example, I know a student (rank in the top 1% of her class, 36 on the SAT) who was awarded a Presidential Scholarship by Buffalo. That’s a full-ride scholarship-tuition and fees, room and board, books, everything. This student was not offered anything by Binghamton except Scholars. A parent called Binghamton to ask if they could offer anything close to Buffalo’s offer, the answer was that Binghamton did not need to offer merit aid to attract strong students like their daughter. She is now a sophomore at UB.

If the merit scholarships mentioned in this discussion are independent of financial need, Binghamton has changed its policy, perhaps out of a need to compete with other schools’ offers.

Correction: 36 on the ACT!

I have heard talk of some legendary person from my high school who did get a full ride to Binghamton. I am not sure if this is a rumor or perhaps the person who said it confused it with Buffalo

do transfers get scholarships