Merit scholarships

My son is waiting to hear from Duquesne. It’s his first choice. My wife and I are alumni class on 88. He was offered a full scholarship to Wingate but we are hoping Duquesne can match it. His ACT is 29 composite score, SAT is 680 math 620 reading . Class rank is 7 / 160 competitive magnet school, GPA 3.64 unweighted and 4.5 weighted, many AP classes. Great extra curricular: baseball team, captain academic team, VP SGA and volunteers at church. What type of merit scholarship can he expect? Looks like he would be inside their top 15 percent from everything I have read. Thanks for your help.

I don’t know, but two years ago they used to give a minimum $10,000 and a maximum $20,000 in merit I think.

My D applied in November and received merit notification in December.

We received the acceptance letter from Duquesne and they offered 20k. The letter said they don’t negotiate these offers. Do you think this is true? We should hear back from UNC in January. Tuition room and board there is still almost 10k cheaper than DU with the scholarship.

I don’t know. You could try and see if they could offer more when all financial aid award letters are in.
We were offered work study and a $3,000 need based grant as well.
Did he apply for pharmacy program?
If so, the $20 k merit should apply to all 6 years.

Business school. I will call the admissions office. Thanks

It might be better to wait until other offers are in. Then if Duquesne is still you son’s first choice, maybe you could see if they could possibly offer a bit more.

That’s the plan. Great advice thanks

I don’t think Duquesne is trying to compete, price-wise, with what OOS kids would pay at their public universities, but they do want to stay in line with (or less than ) other private, urban, (often Catholic) colleges. Could your S attend Dayton or Xavier or Scranton or Loyola or St. Joe’s or Providence for $27,000 (after merit), which is what it looks like your cost (tuition, fees, room, board) would be after Duquesne’s $20,000 merit offer?

Wingate is not in the same category of school, so a full tuition offer there isn’t really comparable.

Also, for in-state kids, Duquesne after that merit award would be at least $5,000/year less than Pitt, Penn State or Temple (depending on the school and major). You are fortunate to be in NC where a terrific public education is available at a very reasonable price.

We are hoping he gets accepted to UNC. Duquesne would not discuss more merit.