Merit scholarships

Can we discuss scholarships? Seems like people say always try for more because SCAD seems very unformulaic in how they determine the amounts. Wondering what others have gotten for academic merit with around 4.1 weighted GPA/3.8 uw. Also if you feel you have a very strong portfolio what are others getting for merit? I’ll report when I receive scholarship info soon.

Hello, we’ve been waiting for the same info and just got ours.

My son got 9k for academic, 5k for achievement (portfolio I believe) and another separate 1500 for achievement (seemingly for winning a Scholastic gold key recently I believe). He’s interested in playing for the soccer team which could bring more money if they want him (that’s a big if obviously).

We would need at least 5k-8k more to make it feasible for us because we won’t get financial aid so I’m hoping either the soccer comes through or they negotiate. We have a 26k/year offer at CCS in Detroit and he liked it there so we might be able to use that as some leverage. We are visiting SCAD in a few weeks and I’m certain he’s going to fall in love with it so I’m really hoping they move a bit on the money.

For reference, I’d say his portfolio is very good (he does go to a school with a magnet art program so they prepared him well but I don’t think it is at some super elite level or anything crazy) and his GPA is 3.9 weighted I think - not sure exactly but in that ballpark.

It’s hard with SCAD knowing the awards go down to 70% if you live off campus so this amount feels only guaranteed for the first two years and then we might be paying more which isn’t great either. Keeping fingers crossed!