Messed Up on the third prompt

So I wrote my answer to the prompt:
At MIT, we bring people together to better the lives of others. MIT students work to improve their communities in different ways, from tackling the world’s biggest challenges to being a good friend. Describe one way in which you have contributed to your community, whether in your family, the classroom, your neighborhood, etc. (200–225words)

But only a few moments ago I learned that MIT changed the prompt this year to:

MIT brings people with diverse backgrounds and experiences together to better the lives of others. Our students work to improve their communities in different ways, from tackling the world’s biggest challenges to being a good friend. Describe one way you have collaborated with people who are different from you to contribute to your community. (225 words)

I APPLIED EA WITH THE FIRST PROMPT, AM I SCREWED?

1 Like

I did talk about one of my friends in this essay, but I didn’t talk about how he was different from me; this is completely my bad but I just wanna know a scale factor

You could let admissions know. How did this happen?

Release date is tomorrow. What’s done is done.

3 Likes

Where did you get the first prompt from? Were you not looking at the prompt in MIT’s app?

In any case, as @skieurope said - no point in stressing over it now.

Didn’t see the EA!

Please stop fretting. It’s far too late now to do anything about this. Hopefully you’ve applied to other schools you’d be happy to attend.

I think you know the answer to your question, but maybe the rest of your app is so impressive that they will overlook the mistake. This is a valuable lesson going forward though. I am sue you will be extra careful with applications going forward.

2 Likes

It was last year’s. So I assume they took off one of the third party sites to get a head start before the application opened. They gambled that the prompt wouldn’t change and they lost. There’s a lesson to be learned.

2 Likes

Gosh, I made the same mistake. I would not have realized it if I hadn’t stumbled onto this thread! I submitted it just yesterday but I finished my essays in September. Would it be worth writing to MIT and seeing if they will let me resubmit? I am applying RD.

Maybe, I copy and pasted all the prompts onto a Google doc from MIT website on August, or at least that’s what I remember. I’m pretty sure the first prompt was what was there before, I did not use a third party website

I also noticed the change to 225 word limit, I honestly have no clue how this happened

But then again, it is what it is;

I guess I’ll know for sure on Saturday, and will keep moving forward regardless

2 Likes

I haven’t heard back from MIT about the prompt confusion.

BobbyBoy, did you get in?

1 Like

nah i got deferred

Maybe you should submit an update of this essay. Good luck!