Messed up process

I got into all the 8 schools I applied to with 3.7 uwgpa and 1490 sat and now I considering planning a transfer as I may be not using my potential. Thoughts? Accepted to WPI RPI Penn State and others.

1 Like

What did you mess up? You got into 8 schools. I see no point in already planning a transfer. You need to choose a school and give it a chance. Staring off college by thinking you will transfer before you even begin is a good way to get off to a bad start. You will not allow yourself to get emotionally invested in your experience or your school. That might make it very tough to transfer to somewhere “better,” where you will need excellent grades and good professor recs.

And you will have a hard time doing much better than those schools, btw.

4 Likes

So if you applied to a 9th school and got rejected would you be happy with these choices?

You can “use your potential” at any of those schools.

I’d strongly recommend against starting a college with the intention of transferring right away – it will stand in the way of your developing friendships, creating relationships with professors, getting involved with campus life etc.

3 Likes

What potential are you not using?

What schools did you get into and what major?
Are they all affordable without loans?
If you got into all 8 of them it means you made a very good list that matches your strengths.

1 Like

What is your intended major?

Are the schools where you were accepted affordable?

There are a lot of very good universities in the US, including the three that you mentioned. There will be very good professors and quite a lot of opportunities at all of them.

1 Like

I would put down a deposit at one of these colleges and ask for a gap year. Do something productive in that year and apply again next year. If you get in somewhere you like better, go there!

1 Like

Getting into all the schools you applied to just means you had a list of solid matches. It doesn’t mean you’re overqualified and now they’re somehow beneath you. Are they all affordable? I don’t believe WPI and RPI are going to be a cakewalk, and I doubt Penn State will be either. What kind of program do you want? Why did you apply to those particular colleges?

6 Likes

It’s my understanding that you’re asked not to apply elsewhere if you defer, for what that’s worth.

My D got into all the schools she wanted to as she chose not to reach. She’ll happily graduate in two months and already has a very good job.

Opportunities to use your “potential” are available at almost any school. It’s up to you.

8 Likes

OP, is there some reason you chose not to apply to a good mix of schools? Did someone advise you not to? Did you not really want to be at any of these schools in the first place? If so, why did you apply to them? What was your dream school? I’m not judging, only asking what you really wanted in order to help.

1 Like

What is messed up if you got into 8 schools, or are they all too expensive, or are the affordable ones unsuitable (don’t have your desired major, etc.)?

I was told that I didn’t have a chance at applying to ivy leagues so I didn’t and now I think I should’ve. I would definitely be more happy now if I applied to MIT and Yale even if I got rejected from them both just so I knew I was going to the best school possible.

I’m so sorry. Did your school guidance counselor tell you this? :cry:

What are your stats?
What major? What 8 universities exactly?
Are they affordable?

I understand where you’re coming from, as my DD also was accepted almost everywhere she applied and is feeling a little of the same. Not ivies, but wondering what might have happened if she’d aimed a little higher.
The truth is, most people get rejected from the top schools even with top stats, so your counselor wasn’t wrong.
It sounds like you have great choices from colleges that want you. Do you want help reviewing your options? There are a lot of knowledgeable people here!

1 Like

Honestly with a 3.7 and sub 1500 SAT score, MIT and Yale would have been huge reaches.

I look at it this way - if you had spent your time applying to a bunch of reach schools with little chance of success, it could have taken away the time you spent writing your essays for your match schools which could have resulted in rejections.

8 for 8 is AMAZING and you have some super acceptances!

The schools you mentioned are going to be tough, you will find your people, and you’ll have a super education. Don’t second guess yourself. You rocked this process! Go forth and shine!!!

5 Likes

That’s a huge misconception. Living up to your potential is a personal choice. Brilliant people do it all the time without stepping into an ivy league. It’s all a matter of attitude.

4 Likes

Update: 4.0 gpa after 3 semesters in case you’re curious

3 Likes

Looks like you have done well where you are. Hoping you stay there and complete your undergrad degree.

2 Likes