Method of transportation?

<p>Hey, I was just wondering what others have decided on for their main method of transportation. I plan on walking primarily, and will probably take a bicycle, but for those of you who use a moped, is it worth it? </p>

<p>Another idea I have been toying with would be to get a sportbike. With the rising costs of gas and what not...i mean 70 mpg vs. 26?!?! (about what I get right now). Plus, I would be able to ride on the freeway and go back home if I wanted to (I live around Milwaukee). If I do go this route, would I have to buy a regular parking permit? OR, could I buy a MOPED parking permit, seeing as a sportbike could be parked there...</p>

<p>please give your input!!!</p>

<p>You might want to check the cost of insurance for a sport bike. It might be cost prohibitive.</p>

<p>I plan on simply walking, or in the summer, inline skating. I love to inline skate. :-)</p>

<p>There is a small chance I'll get a bike for the winter, but I'll probably just walk. The campus isn't THAT big...it's big, but definitely doable. Maybe I can lose a little more weight ^^</p>

<p>At SOAR, I heard one of the girls saying that she's brining a Golf Cart...</p>

<p>If that's allowed, I'd highly consider that, since we own one that we haven't used since 1990something.</p>

<p>That'd look so dorky though.</p>

<p>How about using the campus bus routes? There are two of them - 80 & 85 that cover the whole campus. BTW, I've worked on campus for the last 15 years and I have yet to see a golf cart. I don't think that they are street legal.</p>

<p>That would be a new one. But it sure brings a funny picture to mind. Hundreds of golf carts crawling up Bascom Hill. Hilarious.</p>

<p>My son will be returning as a sophomore to Madison this year. He lived in the Lakeshore dorms last year; got some wet frozen feet during last year's tough winter and rode his bike a lot when he could. This year, he'll be off campus in an apt. east of the capitol and is bringing a moped. He's convinced its the way to go. </p>

<p>Don't know about the sport bike, but with the Badger Bus running back and forth so often between Madison and Mke, why mess with it? Plus, the weather will keep you from being able to use it for a big chunk of the middle of the year. That's a mom's point of view, though!</p>

<p>Most everything is available within walking distance. A bike makes sense. Schleen's son has the right idea about looking into a car or moped if east of the capitol. Public transportation can slow there as the main transfer point lies in between.</p>

<p>Walking will get you where you need to be. If you bring a bike make it a cheap/affordable to lose one- and get a good lock. Mopeds require a permit. Typically you will be going from dorm to point A to point B... easy to just head out without worrying about where you parked something/waiting for a bus... And good exercise. Consider where you would park that car on campus- think the far west end of campus, a hike to most places. Easy to cut in between places, do stairs et al on foot. You quikly learn the best routes- go around or over a hill...</p>

<p>Thanks everybody...yeah I think the best solution would just be to bring a bike. I used to live in madison, and i've spent enough time around campus to know that you guys are all right...biking, even walking, is the most sensible way to go. It's just that I've been living in a suburban area for all of my teenage life, and I can't really go anywhere without driving, which is why i had been considering getting a sportbike (why not try to save some money on gas). But that can wait, it'd be a lot more fun after i've earned a degree and actually have money to purchase one. :)</p>

<p>As a pedestrian on campus I urge you all not to bring mopeds. They are already too many on campus, and some students use them with total disregard for their own or any one else's safety. They also pollute; they're noisy; there is limited parking space for them around classroom buildings, and you run the risk of getting an expensive ticket; and, the roads are icy and snowy during the winter.
Walk, take a bus, use a bike but be wary of riding on Johnson or University even with the segregated bike lanes.</p>

<p>Some things don't change, regardless of the year attending- listen to tsdad!</p>