Miami (Fl) Vs Emory

<p>Hello my son just got accepted to these two schools and we are thrilled. However, he is completely torn and losing sleep over the decision. He is a big partier (don't know how he manages to get such good grades) and grew up in South Florida as a diehard canes fan but worries that he might be missing out on a huge academic opportunity by not going to Emory. I would love to here any opinions to help him (and even me) out.</p>

<p>is the higher cost of attending a private school (Emory) a factor in this consideration?</p>

<p>How, pray tell, did your son hear from UMiami if it wasn’t ED? didn’t think EA decisions had been released…</p>

<p>regardless, what is his major? career interests? Miami is actually stronger in certain areas IMO</p>

<p>myboby123, you do know that Miami is also a private school, right? But whether he got scholarships would be a factor, I’d think.</p>

<p>no, i didn’t. thanks for the clarification. i have heard of Emory but not the other :slight_smile: i am in California.</p>

<p>EA decisions not out yet… has he visited Emory yet? From what I know, it’s very different from Miami. Academic interest is another factor. Then there’s the money. Miami has generous merit aid. Emory? I don’t think so… Both are private schools.</p>

<p>Yes ea is not out yet, usually come in late Jan early feb but he got his decision for specific reasons. Major is
political science and wants an MBA,surprisingly did not get any aid from either but fortunately we can afford it no problem.</p>

<p>He has visited Emory and liked it and just to clarify it is Emory in Atlanta not Oxford.</p>

<p>My S had this same decision to make. After careful pro/con list, he chose the U and admits it was the “right” choice. Being a sports afficionado did play a fairly major part in the decision. Having a “team” to root for during football season and clear school spirit can be important if you are a sportsfan. He has loved all of his time at the U and can’t imagine ever having gone to Emory. He is now a senior and has not had a regret about his choice. He is not a partier, but there are plenty of opportunities for that if your S is looking for it. He has been challenged academically and that was important to him. The caliber of the students at Miami is top-notch and many of them chose between top 20 schools and Miami and Miami won out. The environments at the two schools couldn’t be more different. Perhaps a visit to each is warranted and you have plenty of time before May 1 to do so.</p>

<p>Thank you for the post, that is one of his concerns that the u might not be challenging enough for him but it is great to hear otherwise, could you elaborate on the differences in environments of the schools?</p>

<p>Goodness, our tour at Emory was a long time ago! It is a beautiful northern feeling campus, just no school spirit! It seemed more “serious” and less energetic than the U. The Emory tour we took was well done, but the tour guide did not seem to embrace the school the way the U tour guides (we’ve been on many tours) did. The facilities at Emory(supported by Coca Cola sponsor) are amazing and modern, but the U has an amazing wellness center and the new building for univ center will be done in the fall and it will be amazing too. I think the leadership by Donna Shalala at the U is evident and the feeling that everything at the U is “included” vs asking for money for every single thing at Emory. At the U, laundry is “free” (we prefer the term "included), all concerts and events are “included” and copies at the print center are included as well. The class sizes are amazingly small at the U, and I don’t know if that is so at Emory. The students walking around at Miami are most often found in school colors, letters, etc. I did not see that at Emory at all. I think the energy is very different at the 2 choices. It is the vibe that my son preferred…I think it is hard to describe, but perhaps this will help. The U is a work-hard, play hard school…the kids do study alot, but they also like to have fun and enjoy the beautiful campus, weather and local events.
Perhaps others can chime in here…</p>

<p>For someone who wants school spirit, the U is the place to be. Emory and the like (and any school for that matter) for grad school. The undergrad experience is totally different from the grad experience. </p>

<p>While Emory has a great reputation, and kids love it there, there just seems to be so much more going on in and around campus at the U. </p>

<p>Son is at Emory for grad school now and the U for undergrad. Glad that is the order!! (Atlanta is a great town. Very reasonable housing off campus. Lots to do. Great downtown venues for sporting events, concerts, etc. Since you live close to Miami, your son may enjoy getting away. Don’t be concerned with the quality of education at the U. It is top notch and there are very, very smart kids there.</p>

<p>from what it sounds like, your son will not regret his time at UM. if he thinks it’ll be too easy, keep in mind it’s still a top academic college. I feel like, as a big sports fan, I would seriously regret going to a school without it and always seeing happy college sports fans on ESPN. If he wants an MBA, it’s not too hard to add a math minor, or even an econ or business double major to a polisci major, which would help in grad school apps. but I can only speak from a Miami perspective. see what the emorians (?) have to say in their forums</p>

<p>yes i agree, but if anyone else has any input on the difference of environments and the social scene that will be greatly appreciated, as that is something that first hand experience will give the best indication, i will be happy for him at either, as miami is a top notch school that will probably only continue improving and will give him great academics with great athletics, unfortunately many of his ignorant classmates are always saying things like “yeah but emory is top 20 on usnews”, thankfully he’s not that impressionable but if you hear it enough you never know</p>

<p>Wasn’t a partier in HS but made excellent grades. Came to UM, explored partying, I actually enjoy it and do plenty of it. I kept to myself in HS and was pretty shy and sheltered, but the moving in and orientation process of college literally transformed me and I’ve blossomed socially so much it’s not even funny; I was honestly so scared to come to college in fear of not being able to meet people, relate to people, or make friends, but the dynamic social environment here really pulls you out of your shell. There is definitely something for everyone here in terms of activities, social groups, etc. </p>

<p>Was worried about a lack of academic challenge as well, being a straight-A student in HS without having to put forth any effort, but that lack of needed effort in HS has come to bite me in college where you can’t skate by as easily. I took a fairly easy courseload last semester yet it still hit me like a brick wall. I’m focusing purely on academics this semester for a change. </p>

<p>There is definitely a challenge here, the education you’ll get at UM is more than decent and highly respectable. It’s definitely a work-hard play-hard environment.</p>

<p>@oaktown02: Our oldest son is a senior at Emory and S2 is a sophomore at Miami. IMHO, Emory has a very serious and rigorous academic atmosphere. S1 is a well rounded person and has great and fun friends, but I get the impression it’s a pretty serious place. He did not participate in frat life, but I believe that’s where a lot of the action is esp. freshman and sophomore years. That is definitely not the case at Miami. I think there is a big party scene and a broader range of students (i.e. from super serious pre-med to less serious, I Love the U, “let’s have fun” students). That is not to say that Miami does not offer a great learning and academically challenging environment. It reminds more of the big school v. private liberal arts experience where individual students make their own college experience. Both are very happy with their decisions and are getting excellent educations. That being said, your son should consider what he wants to do post-graduation–that might help him make his decision. Emory’s business school (Goizueta/Jr-Sr. years only) is outstanding with lots of job/internship opportunities. I’m not as familiar with Miami’s business school. Miami touted its placement of pre-med students and appears to do a great job of helping students get into medical school. Emory’s biology program is also outstanding. Miami has an engineering program and Emory does not. FYI, check out info about graduation rates and post graduation plans (professional graduate programs, graduate schools, jobs, etc.) that are listed in the Common App. </p>

<p>But that all being said, nothing trumps the fit issue and where he feels most at home.</p>

<p>Good luck to him and congrats on the options! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.</p>

<p>My older son chose Emory. Coming from South Florida (and leaving his friends and GF to go without him to UM) he was hesitant but wanted the experience of a new place. He is graduating in May and is actually sad about leaving his Emory and Atlanta behind. If he could he would just stay there another four years :)</p>

<p>bump would love to hear more thoughts and pros/cons to this decision</p>

<p>I didn’t think much of UM’s business school, but did find out that we have the number 4 undergrad business law program in the country? I think I remember us having 5 admits to Harvard Law last year.
the point is, it’s all about grad school hahaha. Go where you’re comfortable for undergrad and get a good GPA</p>

<p>Emory is more prestigious and academically stronger than UM, but the two aren’t night and day. UM is up and coming and is also academically strong. For partying UM wins hands down. Having visited both campuses, Emory didn’t seem quite as vibrant and energetic. I guess you could say it had a more studious atmosphere. UM’s campus is always bustling with activities and it seemed like UM students take pride in their appearance, ie always dressing up, tan, physically fit. </p>

<p>Overall the UM student body is very smart, though probably not quite as smart as the Emory student body. Plenty of UM students chose UM over top universities and plenty are incredibly gifted. Emory students are all very smart with fewer exceptions than at UM. </p>

<p>I think in 5-10 years UM will very much be in the conversation with Emory academically. The university is doing its Momentum 2 campaign, raising another 1.6 billion to better the university. As for right now though Emory wins in this regard.</p>

<p>I think it boils down to what your son wants.</p>

<p>UM: Great academics… great social scene… lots of different activities and options… beautiful campus.
Emory: Excellent academics… less thriving social scene… </p>

<p>Atlanta V Miami…</p>