Miami v. Emory

<p>I just visited the University of Miami and Emory (accepted by both, rejected by top choices Georgetown/Duke).</p>

<p>I was extremely impressed with Miami (pros: career center, president, majors offered, beautiful and accommodating campus, great location, D1 sports) and was satisfied with Emory (pros: elite professors/academics, president, school spirit, numerous clubs, near ATL).</p>

<p>Bottom line: I love Miami. I know that Emory may rank higher than Miami (20 v. 38). I know that Emory may have better professors or greater prestige. But I feel like these differences may be insignificant (Will a highly ranked graduate school really hold an Emory undergrad in much higher regard than a UM undergrad?).</p>

<p>I'm looking to double major in economics and international relations. But I'm willing to change my intended major for the right school. Thanks for providing any experience or info that could assist me in solving my dilemma.</p>

<p>My S had this same decision to make. After careful pro/con list, he chose the U and admits it was the “right” choice. Being a sports afficionado did play a fairly major part in the decision. Having a “team” to root for during football season and clear school spirit can be important if you are a sportsfan. He has loved all of his time at the U and can’t imagine ever having gone to Emory.</p>

<p>I think deep down inside of you, you already have a front-runner picked out, based on how you described the effect each had on you: “I was extremely impressed with Miami … and was satisfied with Emory.”</p>

<p>If you’re really scrutinizing details, many of your pros for Emory are also applicable at UM: The president, the school spirit (it’s really one-of-a-kind at UM), and the clubs.</p>

<p>Where did you decide as this is a dilemma more and more students are facing, especially here in south Florida.</p>

<p>My son chose Emory. Being that he was a South Floridian and so many of his friends were going to the U (including his GF at the time) he took a leap of faith and made the decision to try someplace new. It wasn’t the easiest adjustment at first, and there were even moments that first year wondering if he had made a mistake. Fast forward to last semester senior year and now he is sad at the prospect of leaving Emory behind and graduating in a few months. It wasn’t love at first sight, but he definitely ended up loving Emory more than he imagined he would.</p>