Miami's Academic Reputation

<p>I was just wondering whether anyone can comment on the strength of Miami's reputation for undergraduate programs. Specifically, I wondering whether a Miami education usually provides a strong foundation for its students in terms of acceptance to graduate schools and locating good jobs, not only in south florida but throughout the nation. Thanks.</p>

<p>Graduate schools don’t care very much about undergrad. You can get into Harvard as a grad student with a mediocre GPA (as in, 3-3.5). They primary focus on your research: have you published, what was the quality of your publications, and will you increase their reputation by graduating from there? Professional schools regard UM highly.</p>

<p>Two points…</p>

<p>UM’s academic reputation is growing all the time, but certain programs do better than others, so you will want to check out information for your particular program. I can tell you from personal experience, that UM’s science programs prepared my son very well for his doctoral program at one of the best schools in the country. He told me that he was as prepared as some of his cohort from many of the ivy’s. He is currently in his 3rd year of his PhD. </p>

<p>And while rankinr is correct that grad schools don’t care about the name of your undergrad, they do care about that GPA. While 3 to 3.5 is a guideline for applying, don’t expect to get into the top schools with much less than a 3.7. Research is a priority… publication isn’t. Oh, it is nice if you have it, but very few do prior to grad school applications. Concentrate first and foremost on your GPA, the GRE, and your research. Make yourself known to your professor’s so you can get good recommendations. These are key as well. Best of luck!</p>