Michael Hardin named new Dean of C&BA

<p>J. Michael Hardin has been appointed dean of The University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration, the university announced today.</p>

<p>Hardin, who will assume the role on Aug. 16, succeeds J. Barry Mason. Mason plans to return to the classroom.</p>

<p>In a prepared statement Hardin credited Mason with elevating the college nationally, saying he has “enormous shoes to fill.”</p>

<p>“Our college has been built on a great culture and reputation during the tenure of Dean Mason and has risen to national prominence,” Hardin said. “My desire is to further this reputation and to continue to build on the excellent culture that we have established. Initially, I plan to focus on the MBA program.”</p>

<p>Hardin has been a senior associate dean for the past three years and is a statistics professor. He holds master’s degrees from Florida State University and Alabama, and a doctorate in applied statistics from Alabama.</p>

<p>[UA</a> business school gets new dean | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011/06/ua_business_school_gets_new_de.html]UA”>UA business school gets new dean - al.com)</p>

<p>BTW, this isn’t anything that came out of the blue. Dr. Mason has made it known for a while now that he wanted to ease his workload a bit and return to the classroom.</p>

<p>*I plan to focus on the MBA program."
*</p>

<p>??</p>

<p>Is Manderson under Culverhouse?</p>

<p>The focus on the MBA is fine as long as his efforts also help boost Bama’s undergrad and grad B-school rankings. :)</p>

<p>I remember seeing a job application for the Dean of the Business School back in February. IIRC, news that Dean Mason would be returning to teaching was made public in March.</p>

<p>I’m excited for Dr. Hardin to become dean and wish him well. As for Dean Mason, maybe he will again become interim president of UA once Dr. Witt retires.</p>

<p>When is Dr. Witt planning to retire? Please say it’s not soon!!</p>

<p>One thing that struck us during Bama Bound was the sense of excitement and dynamism. This is definitely a school on the upsurge (unlike some of our UNC-system schools, which are contracting). You can feel the excitement – it’s palpable and positively infectious. </p>

<p>I hope this excitement will continue after Dr. Witt retires.</p>

<p>I am fairly certain it will be 2013. I imagine Witt will stick around in some capacity at UA. I think it would be awesome if UA hired a woman or someone who could put a face on the change that has taken place. I do hope that UA considers naming a major building after him. He has been every bit as pivotal as Dr. Denny was, IMO.</p>

<p>I am fairly certain it will be 2013. I imagine Witt will stick around in some capacity at UA. I think it would be awesome if UA hired a woman or someone who could put a face on the change that has taken place. I do hope that UA considers naming a major building after him. He has been every bit as pivotal as Dr. Denny was, IMO.</p>

<p>Maybe they should name the Honors College…the Witt Honors College.</p>

<p>That would be awesome! :-)</p>

<p>I’m thinking that Ridgecrest South should be named after Dr. Witt, who I’m guessing will retire in 2015. Of course, maybe UA should rename the Shelby Complex the Witt-Shelby complex since Senator Shelby wasn’t able to get all the funds he intended. It wouldn’t be the first UA building named after multiple people (ie Bryant Denny Stadium).</p>

<p>Where are you getting that he will retire soon? I know he’s no spring chicken, but he doesn’t seem worm out.</p>

<p>I agree…I hope he doesn’t retire for a long, long time.</p>

<p>Now that I think about it…I think the Honors College should be named after Dr. Halli.</p>

<p>I think something else should be named after Dr. Witt…don’t know what…but something else. </p>

<p>I don’t think Shelby should have to share the naming of the SEC…he’s been principally responsible for the funding and likely, behind the scenes, he’s been the rainmaker to replace the lost funds for Phase IV. He has a ton of connections in the state.</p>