Michael Pollen, In Defense of Food

<p>This looks great. Kudo's to Chancellor Martin and Faculty for kick starting what appears to be a stimulating event!</p>

<p>Scientists</a>, foodies and farmers join University of Wisconsin debate over Pollan's 'Food' book -- latimes.com</p>

<p>Oops, Pollan that is.</p>

<p>Martin knows how to raise the profile. Even getting the state farmers really engaged in the UW is a good idea for the long run.</p>

<p>Ya it’s an interesting little experiment the University is doing, perhaps trying to increase pleasure reading or intellectual debate.</p>

<p>You mentioned it gets the farmers involved Barrons and I don’t know if you read the book, but it basically puts what the farmers do in a negative light. I mean it commends small time farming and local agriculture, but even in my ignorance on Wisconsin agriculture I’m willing to bet most of it is industrialized in one sense or another.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Here is some farmer bashing the book, but I guess if it sparks debate and has two different sides that’s really what the Chancellor was going for. I read the book, but have decided not to attend the talk by the author. Perhaps others will though… It will be hard to gauge whether or not the program is a success in its first year, but it got me to read at least.</p>

<p>Cryto, thanks so much for the thoughtful response. These issues are wide and interdisciplinary - healthcare, nutrition, obesity, food policy, agriculture and various sciences to name a few - and busting them open at UW-Madison is like opening the belly of the beast! The Univ. basically invented Food Science years ago and is closely connected to “Agribusiness.” Throw in a tradition of open inquiry = exciting.</p>

<p>I suspect there are more than 2 sides to these discussions and frankly am dissapointed in the official Farm Bureau response. Some facts interspersed with name calling doesn’t help. I did find a video interview hosted by Prof Goldstein in Poli Sci with Prof’s in Nutritian and Horticulture pretty good. Check it out:</p>

<p>[Office</a> Hours: Are you what you eat? (Sept. 17, 2009)](<a href=“http://www.news.wisc.edu/17092]Office”>Office Hours: Are you what you eat?)</p>