Michigan engineering vs. Emory University for computer science

I was accepted at Michigan Engineering early action and placed my enrollment deposit. Was waitlisted at Emory after ED2, but got in after May 1. Now, I’m faced with a decision. Do I stick with Michigan and go for the engineering degree (which might be harder), or switch to Emory and study computer science, which I am also interested in, but might be surrounded by different people, etc. Basically, help me decide between Michigan engineering and Emory University. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Of course Michigan. Emory is not an engineering school or CS school. Michigan is great for engineering or CS.

1 Like

I agree Michigan is the bigger name - but: do you want to do engineering or computer science?

Which type of engineering would you study? And do you prefer it or CS?

Name wise - yes - Michigan - but it’s bigger than that.

You should choose to study what you want.

You say an engineering degree “might be” harder than a CS degree. For some yes, for others not.

But it’s besides the point - an engineering degree at Arkansas or Utah will be hard, just like one at Michigan.

Have you looked at Emory’s CS offerings to see if they have the curriculum/special topics you’d be interested in?

Obviously this is a large/school school decision too - and which do you prefer?

It’s easy to say Michigan (and I agree, in all facets for either field it’d be a much better perceived school).

But I’m more concerned with you having the chance to study what you’d want - and for your interests, not for - I want easier classes - which is a terrible thing to base your decsion on.

Good luck.

2 Likes

There are important differences between the majors (CS and engineering) and the schools. Assuming Emory and UM are equally affordable choose the one which has the environment and course of study you prefer. Two reasonable people could make two different choices.

Congrats on your excellent options!

3 Likes

Of course do what you want to do and which is affordable for you. But why did you apply to two vastly different schools? That to me is a big question. What do you want your next 4 years to look like.

Just so you know all engineering degrees at Michigan have a CS component and that has been increased the last 5 years or so. So you will learn aspects of CS in just about every major.
It is also easy to switch fields between majors besides CS (going into it).

As a complete aside look into school of engineering and something like data analytics at Michigan. Kinda combines lots of this.

You need to decide whether you prefer Engineering or CS.

I would suggest:

• If Engineering, stick with Michigan
  • If CS, head to Emory
  • If you can’t decide, choose based on fit factors. Both are very strong academically.

The overwhelming majority of high school seniors would be just fine at Michigan or Emory.

4 Likes

They might but the campus and culture are different and why I asked the question.

So, you were accepted to Michigan through EA. What is compelling for you about Emory (that you think you won’t get at Michigan) that led you to stay on their waitlist?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.