Michigan LSA Econ vs IU Kelley

Oh when I said “from what I’ve seen” I meant based on other threads and sites where either I’ve posted the same question or seen someone else ask the same question. I haven’t seen really any data that compared the two directly as I’d presume it would be fairly hard to as one is a business school and one is not. I am just trying to gather as many opinions and as much insight as I can to see if there’s a common theme, in terms of career-wise, or if it’s pretty much 50/50.

In addition to gathering opinions, I strongly encourage you to call each school’s career center and ask them the questions you want answers to…so if that is the set of companies, job titles, and median salary of grads from U Mich LSA econ, and similarly for the Kelley Major you want, ask that.

Real data >>>>> opinions

5 Likes

This is true. I think there is a lot of presumptions that are very unknown. Thinking you will get into business clubs, business fraternities, minor, etc. It is cutthroat and very limited to anyone outside of Ross. Due diligence is needed to really understand how it will all work or not work.

Just remember you and probably hundreds (maybe thousands) are probably going after the same thing for very few spots. Confidence is one thing, reality is another.

3 Likes

There is no assurance of opportunity for any major and any school.

You can get the outcomes of each - IU posts theirs…not sure about Michigan…and go from there.

But outcomes are past data. Ultimately, you will make yourself - mroeso than the school and major.

But if it’s your true belief that finance can get you to where you want to go - then I stand by my answer b4 - IU or even Iowa would be better than Michigan.

You are trying to work it both ways - no one can assure you, even Harvard econ can get you the same as IU finance…and vice versa btw.

Good luck.

Here is IU…you’ll have to find UM - although I put a link down for you. Again - Econ, Poli Sci, Scoiology, etc. - are not finance - and you are trying to sub econ for finance - and you can’t. But my point is - if you get a job in business - it wouldn’t necessarily matter the major. Yes, often folks think Econ is substitutional and perhaps it is more but every experience is different.

Business, btw, is wide ranging- finance/accounting are specific but business is far more - whether it’s IS, supply chain, marketing, operations, general…you’re best to get a finance degree (IMHO) if a job in finance specifically is the goal.

Given you concern, I’d attend Kelley.

Outcomes – KelleyConnect | Kelley School of Business (iu.edu)

What Will You Do with an LSA Degree? | U-M LSA U-M College of LSA (umich.edu)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.