Michigan State Admissions

Hey, so I applied to Michigan State University towards the end of October and my scores are higher than their 75th percentile. I honestly am not even considering going but I’m just anxious because all my friends who applied after I did already got their decisions back and I haven’t. Is there a reason I haven’t received my decision yet?

I recently asked about timing since we hadn’t heard back either, and this was the response received:

Thank you for your email. The timing that we give to applicants is that you can hear back within 12 weeks or by January 15 if the application and supporting material was received by November 1. Majors of incoming freshman doesn’t hinder the applicants application in anyway. And we can not speak on others decisions and why they may have received a decision before yours but we are trying to make decisions and respond to students as soon as we can. Decisions are going out daily so just keep checking the portal.

Thank you! Yeah they told me the same thing. I guess we just have to wait… :slight_smile:

They’ve had all my materials since September 16th and I still haven’t heard back. Checking every day lol

Wow that’s even before me… I shall, good luck!!

What time of day are people receiving their decisions? Is it a specific time or throughout the day? Also, has anyone received a deferred or denied decision? Are they only sending out acceptances at this time?

I’ve personally seen 3 people denied, one yesterday morning at about 7:30 am they received the email and the other two about 2 weeks ago. Those are just the people I’ve witnessed, so I’m not sure how many they’ve actually sent out and how often but yes they’ve sent out denied decisions. I’ve also heard that yesterday many people received a message requesting their 1st semester senior year transcripts be sent so that they can review their application a second time because they ‘see potential’

@irk1475 What were the Stats of those you saw denied?

And those deferred?

I’m not quite sure of one of the people denied but 2 of them were right around 3.0 gpa and 1000-1100 range. Also unsure about the person who was asked for transcripts

A handful of folks from my daughter’s school were deferred yesterday morning. Stats were under a 3.4 and under 23 ACT. I don’t know how low, just that it was under those stats.

My friend got in with a 3.6 gpa and a 25 act. No the decisions are just being sent out randomly I think because all my friends got them on different days at different times.

For those deferred. Did your status change on the portal and/or did the portal show a request for updated grades?

Or was the email the only contact that you received?

Those who were deferred received and email and a status change on their portal. I was sent a photo of a friend’s portal. it says, “Thank you for your interest in MSU. After an initial review of your application, we’ve recognized your potential as a spartan. We would like to give you an opportunity to submit more information to improve your chances of admission. Please submit the following:” then lists what to submit. This friend’s said to submit first semester transcripts.

I have two students that applied. One was accepted in Oct the other is still waiting…

My daughter applied in late October and was accepted on November 26th

Got accepted this morning!!! They didn’t send me an email I just happened to check my portal

Same!! Accepted this morning w similar stats. go green!!!

Update - both of my students are accepted. Second one got the accepted portal change today too!!!

Lol yeah I got my acceptance in my portal today too! I didn’t get an email either. I guess they send them out in batches :smiley:

lrk1475. Congrats, what were your scores? In-state?

My son is still waiting.

In-state
29 ACT
1230 SAT
3.36 GPA

the wait is killing me…