Michigan State Class of 2027 Official Thread

FInancially, MSU was attractive to us because they are pretty generous to out of state students. They also brought the cost down to in-state for us, plus some outside scholarships that made it a good deal (relatively speaking).

Once you are a freshman, keep an eye out for departmental scholarships. It’s a competitive process, but it’s still money out there.

Also, in case this applies to anyone here … MSU is one of several schools that offers in-state tuition to active and (I think) retired military personnel. Doublecheck the stipulations, but again they are pretty generous in that regard.

4 Likes

Can I ask about stats? # of AP/GPA? We are also OOS and considering test optional. Thanks

So its hard to give stats as my daughters high school just redid their grading scale but… she has a 3.6/4.5 gpa. test optional. OOS. TONS of activities and leadership including VP of her class and captain of her team. Her extracurriculars are far more impressive then her test scores were lol

1 Like

My DS was accepted 3 weeks ago and still nothing in the mail…is this normal?
Thanks!!

My daughter was accepted on 11/9 and her letter, flag, etc came on Saturday

1 Like

I am assuming you are talking about physical mail. My daughter got the flag only last week. she was accepted 10/12 so clearly taking more than a month.

1 Like

My current MSU sophomore went test optional, but that was in 20/21 the first year they went test optional. She still got a healthy OOS scholarship. Her ACT was mid-20s - not bad, but she made the decision to go test optional for all her schools.

1 Like

OOS D23 applied early October. Accepted first week of November and received Honors college acceptance last week. Just waiting on direct admit to Broad now - I think her decision will be betweeN MSU and IU…… this ACC family doesn’t know what to do with the Big 10!

1 Like

Congratulations! We are in the same boat. I think my OOS D23 will likely choose between IU and MSU as well. Oh, and we also have a Cavalier (your profile pic), though ours is a tri-color. :heart:

2 Likes

My DS was accepted today, in state and applied on 10/31.

2 Likes

D23 Accepted today. OOS applied 10/28. Received a study aboard scholarship but no merit. I presume that that’s it for OOS merit? Looks like this school does merit at the same time as admittance?

Congratulations! There is a “Financial Aid and Scholarships” tab on the portal, and if I recall correctly, the merit offer, which included a non-resident scholarship and study abroad grant, was listed there when D received her acceptance.

1 Like

Shoot I was afraid of that. Thank you for the quick response. I thought she had a chance of $10k at minimum based on the matrix so this stings more than we thought it would.

Our OOS son got his offer yesterday. He applied on 10/19, but supporting documentation from his school didn’t arrive until 11/1.

4 Likes

OOS daughter got accepted yesterday. Applied 11/1

2 Likes

Today they added the Red Cedar (Alumni) and Study Abroad scholarships, but haven’t added the big one (MSU Non-resident Scholarship) yet.

Any update? From a recent post, it seems that financial/merit offers can be updated. I hope this is the case for you!

2 Likes

OOS (CA) son applied 10/29, got accepted 11/30 with non-resident scholarship and study abroad scholarship. If helpful, his stats 3.75 W (not great freshman GPA, good soph/junior GPA, no tests submitted, 4 AP, decent EC and good recs. He had a good visit last spring, so he’s happy about the acceptance.

2 Likes

Thank you and sorry for the delayed response - I’ve been travelling and somewhat unplugged.

D23 did just get an updated merit offer so Yay!!! It’s $5k/year less than we were hoping for based on the matrix but it does keep Michigan state open as a definite possibility, depending on other offers. She’s really proud of herself and that is the best part!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear! Congratulations!

1 Like