Michigan State OOS Admissions Question

DS was deferred for his top choice and is pivoting into out of state options. Michigan State looks like a great fit for his desired major (Computer Science with a double minor in Game Design/Cybersecurity).

Is it better to apply rolling admissions or regular decision? Thoughts on his chances for admission?

OOS–NC
GI Benefits (military dependent)
3.74 unweights/4.17 weighted
28 Composite ACT
9 APs including AB Calculus and BC Calculus
3 years high school lacrosse and travel lacrosse
National Honor Society
3 years Youth Technology Work Skills Cohort
High School Peer Tutor 3 days a week
Part time job

Sorry, I don’t have any info on MSU, but RIT would be a great fit for his desired major and stats.

Club LAX, a great co-op program, and they are designated a Military Friendly School (I’m not sure how that plays into GI benefits).

RD by Feb 1 because if you apply after Feb 1 at most schools anyway it’s - do we have any spots left. That’s when rolling comes in.

You needed to apply by Nov 1 for maximum merit consideration so just realize you may or may not receive merit. Or ‘better’ merit.

Best of luck.

Parent here of MSU freshman, engineering/CS preference. Agreed, the sooner the better. Still considered for merit if apply by Feb. 1 RD deadline. Should be simple to apply using Common App, no additional essays or questions as I can recall.

CS major is not restricted. Students apply for the major in the semester they expect to complete their prerequisites.

Thank you for the additional information. That is very helpful!

Thank you for the clarification and information.

Thank you! He’ll check it out!

We have used the GI bill for our kids (4 of them). One thing to consider is that (I believe) MSU gives in state tuition to all children of a veteran, even if they have not lived or been stationed in Michigan. We have been selective about the GI bill and paid the tuition without that GI bill for our in state kids and “saved” the GI bill for our kids at expensive Universities that use yellow ribbon. For instance- one of our kids is getting her medical school tuition entirely free (over 60,000 tuition alone) plus bah housing as we didn’t use it for her undergraduate as it was in state prices.

But the GI bill is the way to go if you don’t need it for other kids like we did!

Thank you so much for this information–it is very helpful!

We found that Washington is another state that gives in state to veterans who are within 3 years of getting out of active duty. You might want to consider WSU over UW Seattle because the OOS acceptance rate into CS is about 3%.