Michigan State University Early Action for Fall 2024 Admissions

This is the official thread for those applying EA to Michigan State University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

My kiddo submitted on Friday. 3.91 weighted, 3.85 unweighted. 1120 SAT but did not submit. 1 AP class with a four on the test. Not a superstar student like many on this board will be, but I am hopeful she will get in. I am an alum and she has two tours/visits. MSU is her first choice. Not sure what she will study, but interested in something technical like engineering or packaging. Hoping she hears soon since she submitted so early!

1 Like

My daughter just submitted her Common App, so now we wait. She will be a business major (hopefully DA to Broad), and here are her stats: OOS, GPA 4.3W/3.98UW, SAT 1480, 7APs.

If interested in engineering it’s better to have picked engineering so she would be housed with the engineers first year… helped my kid a lot

1 Like

Does anyone know how MSU re-calculates GPA? When we were at Green & White Days, during the business school session a question was asked about whether they look at weighted or unweighted GPA and the admissions person said something along the lines of “Admissions recalcuates GPA, we don’t know how they do it, and we take whatever they give us; we don’t do any calcuations.”
I would love to know how they calculate the GPA for admissions purposes and for merit $.

My daughter is nervous about living in the CORE dorm because she doesn’t want engineering to be her entire life. Given what I know about the challenging curriculum, it will definitely help to have peers and tutors nearby.

Does MSU require all test scores from different dates be submitted? Their admissions page doesn’t say that but my daughter said the common app asks for all your scores. I know they don’t superscore also.

S24 applied via common app and counselor uploaded all the things yesterday. 4.07 weighted with 4 APs completed (all 4’s) and 2 more AP this year.

Does anyone know when admission decisions typically start rolling out?

January 15 for EA and March 31 for RD. Then rolling.

https://admissions.msu.edu/apply/first-year/dates-and-deadlines

According to posts from the past 2 years, acceptances started coming out mid-to-late October for some of those that applied September or earlier. It would be great to see acceptances start rolling out in the next couple weeks!

2 Likes

Ok. That is what I thought. I know kids from last year that started to hear in October!! Fingers crossed!

Daughter submitted her app last week. Waiting to find out. Wonder how long it will be!!

1 Like

The MSU website says January 15 for EA and March 31 for RD. The MSU Class of 2027 page here on CC shows that some people posted about their acceptances beginning November 7 last year.

1 Like

Daughter got her acceptance today (OOS). Application was complete Oct 2. Scholarship info also came with the acceptance letter.

1 Like

Accepted!! OOS!! Applied 9/25. Scholarship information given as well! Go Green!

2 Likes

Go white! Daughter Accepted!! OOS Scholarship info. included . MSU is great about adding extra scholarships along the way!!!

3 Likes

My daughter just got accepted in-state! So glad the wait is over! Good luck everyone!

S24 accepted today! OOS with merit $. His first acceptance. A good day at home.

1 Like