Michigan State v. UA

Has anyone ever struggled to decide between UAlabama and Michigan State? Besides the obvious difference in weather and a few other things, how did you decide?

@55al00m These are two of my son’s three finalists. We have visited both. I am an MSU alum, so I am prejudiced, but Alabama definitely impressed. What are you considering majoring in? What factors are important to you?

And here I thought it was a football question, and I was going to say UA would definitely win. Roll Tide!

For academics, have you visited both campuses - does your student like the “feeling” better of one over the other? Does one school have a better reputation than the other for your student’s major? Is honors college in the picture? Are you closer to one than the other (this might effect your decision as the cost of traveling can get expensive, and internship opportunities might vary.) This is such a personal decision. If you have a specific question comparing the two, you might be able to get more help.

I am very interested in Chemistry and am planning on being PreMed. At Alabama I would pursue a chemistry major. At Michigan I would be in Lyman Briggs and major in Chemical Physics. I have been accepted into the honors college. I have visited both campuses and both felt very fitting. I visited Alabama during the year and Michigan during the summer. I plan to revisit Michigan while class is in session.

Alabama is twice the distance from my house. I will be flying to and from either one I go to.
@Beaudreau what differences has your son seen?

I guess specific questions I may have are

• does one have a better rep for medical school/being a pre med?
  • how is the bus system at each? Is one preferable if I won't have a car?
  • how do the honors colleges compare?

And any general differences that may be overlooked would be really appreciated.

Maybe @mom2coIIegekids can answer about the medical school acceptance as she has a med student who graduated from UA.

[QUOTE=""]
am very interested in Chemistry and am planning on being PreMed

[/QUOTE]

does one have a better rep for medical school/being a pre med?

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Med schools won’t care either way. Going to a top 8 undergrad “might” give someone a tiny bump, but after that until you get to no-name podunks…absolutely no nudge at all.

However, Bama does write Committee Letters, which is a plus. And, by attending an Alabama undergrad, you will have the benefit of creating a “tie” to Alabama’s public SOMs, which may not be the case in Michigan.

What are the cost differences?

I just saw that you’re a girl. If you do well at Bama (GPA and MCAT), then you’re practically a shoo-in for at least one Alabama med school.

Maybe a January visit to Michigan would help you make up your mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I went to school in the Midwest (from the south) and just can’t handle those winters anymore. I know that sounds lame. If all other things are generally equal (for med school down the road) I’d probably go UA. Our son, who grew up in Florida, has not even applied to any schools in the Midwest (though I know there are some really good ones).

When we visited UA (from Florida) it looked like the bus system around campus was pretty good (they have three loops). I’m not sure how mass transit works for getting to Walgreens and places like that. It seemed like there was a good selection of places to go within relative walking distance of campus.

I’m assuming that you’ll fly into Birmingham - it’s not super close to UA (maybe an hour?) but I have read that there are shuttles.

Be prepared to pay for a hired shuttle (Birmingham-door-to-door about $80 one way), a taxi (about $90 one way) or a limo IF you are traveling from the airport to the university at off times (basically when it is not the start/end of break.) There are students who do drive other students for a fee of about $25 one way and you can find these on the Alabama ride share facebook page if/when you are a student, however, keep in mind that they may not have the proper insurance in case someone is hurt in an accident unlike professional companies. Roll Tide.

@55al00m Based on our visits (21 campuses total over the last four years), here are my impressions:

Dormitories. About 70% of UA’s housing is the new suite style, with four separate bedrooms, two shared baths (for two bedrooms), and a common sitting area with couch, chair, sink, microwave, and full-size refrigerator. These are the nicest dorms we visited anywhere. Honors Housing is in the Ridgecrest community, which features these suite-style rooms. All dorms are air-conditioned. At MSU, the most common style is a suite with two, two-person rooms sharing one bathroom. Dorms are not air-conditioned, but this is not a huge problem due to the climate. MSU Honors Housing floors are located around campus in various dorms. MSU has much more campus housing available than UA, and guarantees rooms for all students for all four years. Alabama only guarantees housing for freshman year.

Dining. Alabama has two large dining halls, which are very nice and provide many meal options. MSU has many more dining locations, with themed locations in most dorms. It is very convenient to eat in your dorm, particularly in winter. The Brody Square Dining Hall was just remodeled and is amazing! Both schools offer all-you-can eat dining. Alabama has more chain-dining opportunities.

Recreational facilities. UA wins this. The recreational facilities are newer and more deluxe. MSU is supposed to be building a new facility in the next several years, but that won’t mean much to current students. Both schools have huge club and intermural sports programs.

Transportation. Both campuses have extensive bus systems. MSU’s is part of the Capital Area Transit Authority, which extends throughout the greater Lansing area. Semester bus passes are $50. UA bus service is free. MSU’s campus sprawls a bit more than UA’s. Bicycles seem to be much more prevalent at MSU. Most of the major sidewalks have bike lanes next to them.

College Sports. Sports are huge at both schools. Spartan football has a large and devoted fan base, but the stadium and fanaticism trails UA. On the other hand, Spartan basketball trumps UA basketball. Spartan’s also are pretty crazy for Hockey, a third revenue producing sport. UA’s popular sports include softball, baseball, swimming, and gymnastics. Student athletic passes are more expensive at MSU, due to the demand for basketball and hockey seats.

Greek life. Greek life is far bigger at UA than at UA. Approximately 1/3 of UA students are Greek, versus only about 8% at MSU. Fraternity row at UA features beautiful, stately buildings. There is nothing comparable at MSU.

Diversity. Alabama has a much higher percentage of out-of-state students than MSU, but UA’s international percentage is less than 3%, versus 13% at MSU. UA has more Black students but fewer Hispanic or Asian students.
Campuses. I admit to my prejudice up front, but I give the nod to MSU for campus beauty. There is a small river running through the MSU campus, many large trees, and a horticulture garden. This is not to take anything away from UA; it’s a lovely campus and they have done a better job integrating the architecture of the new buildings with the old ones.

Honors Colleges: Both schools offer good options. I like the UA Honors housing in Ridgecrest quite a bit. Honors housing is provided at MSU on dedicated floors around campus. Top UA Honors students are offered the Computer-Based Honors Program, with great research opportunities. Top MSU Honors students (ACT 33 or more) are offered paid research opportunities with professors.

Lyman Briggs College. This is unique to MSU, a residential college located in Holden Hall devoted to science and humanities. Most freshman and sophomore classes are offered in the dormitory. Lyman Briggs is very popular with pre-med students and includes Honors Floors.

Surrounding communities. I was very impressed with Tuscaloosa. It is growing and has quite a bit of new shopping. East Lansing and Okemos have large residential and shopping areas. The state capital and additional shopping are located in Lansing bordering to the west However, neither area is a shopping destination. UA offers the Strip, just west of campus, for student off-campus fun. At MSU, the fun is on Grand River Avenue, which borders the campus to the north.

Weather. I guess you pick your poison. Fall and spring are lovely in East Lansing, but winters are cold and gray, with an average of 51 inches of snow. In Tuscaloosa, there is still a lot of heat and humidity in early fall and late spring, but winters are temperate. Snow is rare in Tuscaloosa, but rain is frequent.

Medical School. MSU has a veterinarian medicine school, an osteopathic medicine school, and a traditional medical school. Alabama has none of these schools, but UA-Birmingham is a highly regarded school. The University of Michigan medical school in Ann Arbor is about 60 miles from East Lansing. (I think they play football in Ann Arbor too, or at least they used to.)

School ratings. US News has MSU rated 75th overall, with Alabama at 98th. MSU is a member of the Association of American Universities, the 60 top North American research universities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities Alabama is not.

Overall Student Satisfaction. According to a web-site that I can’t link here (StudentsReview) approximately 67% of UA Students were happy with their college choice. MSU’s is at 77%, the highest in the Big Ten.

Re: #9 - Good information! However, The University of Alabama Medical School is located in Birmingham. It is not part of UA-B. Just FYI to keep everyone updated.

Dining Halls - UA has more than two dining halls. Lakeside and Burke are the two large ones. Fresh Foods is new and nice (open Mon-Fri; I don’t believe it has weekend hours, as it is situated in the midst of academic bldgs.). Bryant Hall also has a dining center, and many students enjoy their daily brunch. (The “beefed up” evening meal there costs more, as Bryant is where many of the football players - and some other male athletes - live.) There are also a couple of other smaller locations (limited offerings) on campus where the dining plan can be used. Just to add some more information…

Honors Housing - At UA, most of the Honors housing is in the large Ridgecrest complex; however, there are Honors floors in a couple of other dorms. Many Honors students live in Ridgecrest; however, Honors students can be found in every dorm on campus…some in Honors housing, some not.

Guaranteed Housing - Just FYI, all sophomores who met the renewal deadlines and wanted UA campus housing for this year got campus housing. However, a huge percentage of sophs DO move off campus.

Sports - At UA, student football tickets are $10. All other sports, students get in free with their student ID. FYI.

Just thought it would be appropriate to clarify a few items. (My son is currently a soph at UA.)

@amy9998 - good clarifications.

One minor thing I forgot to include - at MSU, mail deliveries are made to the dormitories, where each student has a box. Student mail at UA goes to Ferguson Mail Center. Students do receive an email notification of mail deliveries.

@Beaudreau What’s the website that you can’t link to?

@wlester - studentsreviews(dotcom).

Based on the Honors Housing Thread, it looks like UA is no longer guaranteeing on-campus housing past freshman year. MSU guarantees on-campus housing for all four years, although only freshmen are currently required to live on campus (sophomores encouraged to do so).

Are Students Review ratings random samples, or are they from the visitors to the site alone?

FWIW, my orthopedic surgeon (double knee replacements) got his undergraduate degree at UA in chemical engineering. His medical degree’s from UA medical school. Dr. Cain is also the UA football team’s ortho. He and an associate are on the field during every game.

@Atlanta68. I don’t think the ratings are at all random.I think pretty much anyone could create an account and rate and review a university. And I think it’s likely that people with negative experiences would be more likely to post.

Considering the big Thursday football game, some of you might enjoy this article about how Nick Saban and MSU basketball coach Tom Izzo are long-time friends; http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/12/29/michigan-state-nick-saban-tom-izzo/78029258/

And of course Mark Dantonio was one of Saban’s top assistants at MSU.