Microbiology/Campus Size

Hi… So, I’m looking at applying to A&M next year for their microbiology program. Any idea how competitive that program is?

Also, I know A&M is a fairly large school and I’m not sure how I feel about that (most of the schools I’m looking at are on the smaller side). Is the large population hard to get used to? What is it like being at a college with that many people? Is it overwhelming? Does it make it difficult to get the classes you need?

Thanks!

I have heard good things about the biology and microbiology programs here, I can’t speak for the competitiveness though. It has solid resources and probably has some solid connections. Take what I say about the program with a grain of salt though because this is all second-third hand information.

If you don’t like the idea of a large school or large student population, do not go here. It is physically a large campus and there are a ton of students. You typically can get classes you need here, but not at the times you want them at. Advisers do prioritize upperclassmen for necessary courses so that they can graduate. Again though, if you would rather be at a smaller school or that is what your instinct is telling you I would go that route. Not only is this a large school, it is one of the LARGEST in the nation.

Where are you coming from? Its hard to tell if it is hard to get used to the population depending on your answer. People from Houston,Dallas,Austin,San Antonio typically don’t complain about the population and I know a lot of small town people that love it here because there is just so much more to do and be excited about in your free time. But traffic sucks, there can be long wait times for popular places, and you will have large class sizes, at least for your first two years.