Microbiology to PreMed?

<p>Hi there! </p>

<p>I am currently in the process of deciding on schools (Miami is probably where I'm going- I'm about 99.999% sure lol) and I had a question about my major. I am currently a Microbiology major, but I wanted to know if there was any way to get into the Pre Med program. I have no idea how to go about doing so. I am the first in my family to go to college, and I STILL don't fully understand a lot of terms and such that are being thrown at me haha. I know I do not HAVE to go into Pre Med, (hence why my major is Microbiology) but it will surely prep me for the MCATs, so I just want to be prepared. Any advice or instructions will help and are surely appreciated :) Thank you!</p>

<p>Pre Med isn’t a major, it’s more of a track. You can basically do any major you want while taking pre-med classes. As far as getting into the program, I’m not very knowledgable, but I thought I’d throw that tidbit out there.</p>

<p>My S is a freshman at Miami. He is a microbiology major and is also on the premed track. If you are considering medical school you can register with the pre-med advising office as a freshman. Most medical schools have the same undergrad class requirements such as biology,chemistry,physics,etc. You just need to make sure you take all these classes (in addition to classes for microbiology major). The premed advising office will play a big part when it is time to apply to medical school. The U is a great place to be as a microbio major and for premed.</p>

<p>My S graduated from UM with a microbiology & immunology degree. The advising and research opportunities were top notch. As others have said, you can pursue the microbio (or any other) degree and register with the pre-health advising office. They will help steer you in the right direction.
[College</a> of Arts and Sciences-Pre-Health](<a href=“Advising | College of Arts and Sciences”>Advising | College of Arts and Sciences)</p>