Midwest Engineering School? Ohio State?

I appreciate your response but right now I am just looking for names of schools in the midwest that have reputable chemical engineering programs. My teen and I will then research whether the school is a target or reach school based on teen’s stats. I am not looking for a “chance me” type response.

I am familiar with most of the engineering schools on the east coast and have visited several and have spoken to the financial aid reps at several so I am aware of costs, what scholarships teen may be eligible for and what costs would be out of pocket for the ones on my coast.

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about colleges west of us and I don’t want the forum to provide a curated list based on my finances or the forum’s perception of whether teen will be accepted. The only criteria I am looking for right now is reputable Chem Engineering Program, ABET accredited and near midwest. I am not even limiting myself to non urban schools. I am also looking to see if someone has specifics on Ohio State’s engineering program. I am basically just looking for names of schools that we can research. Thanks.

A lot of the schools on this list are east coast schools that we have already researched, many of which are already on my list. I am specifically looking for midwest schools and info on Ohio State. Thanks.

1 Like

OK - my bad - then here’s a midwest list - or you can go to ABET and run a search - what I did - but you noted you didn’t want to be “far” - so the midwest is expansive.

As for co op, you can likely do at most any school in engineering. Minnesota is urban, but very well thought of in ChemE.

All of these will be “reputable”. Ohio State is known as very good. They have career data up but from four years ago.

You might email their career services and ask for an outcome report.

The school has 9K kids - not sure how many in ChemE vs. others. There is also data here.

Good luck.

PS - for “cheaper” look at schools like Iowa State, U of Kansas, Louisville, etc. Ohio State does have some good scholarships, depending on the student.

School Name City State
Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago Illinois
Northwestern University Evanston Illinois
The University of Illinois at Chicago Chicago Illinois
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign Champaign Illinois
Purdue University at West Lafayette West Lafayette Indiana
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Terre Haute Indiana
Trine University Angola Indiana
University of Notre Dame Notre Dame Indiana
Iowa State University of Science and Technology Ames Iowa
The University of Iowa Iowa City Iowa
Benedictine College Atchison Kansas
Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas
The University of Kansas Lawrence Kansas
University of Kentucky Lexington Kentucky
University of Kentucky (Extended Campus-Paducah) Lexington Kentucky
University of Louisville Louisville Kentucky
University of Louisville Louisville Kentucky
Kettering University Flint Michigan
Michigan State University East Lansing Michigan
Michigan Technological University Houghton Michigan
University of Michigan Ann Arbor Michigan
Wayne State University Detroit Michigan
Western Michigan University Kalamazoo Michigan
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Minneapolis Minnesota
University of Minnesota Duluth Duluth Minnesota
Missouri University of Science and Technology Rolla Missouri
University of Missouri - Columbia Columbia Missouri
Washington University Saint Louis Missouri
University of Nebraska - Lincoln Lincoln Nebraska
University of North Dakota Grand Forks North Dakota
Case Western Reserve University Cleveland Ohio
Cleveland State University Cleveland Ohio
Miami University Oxford Ohio
Ohio University Athens Ohio
The Ohio State University Columbus Ohio
The University of Akron Akron Ohio
The University of Toledo Toledo Ohio
University of Cincinnati Cincinnati Ohio
University of Dayton Dayton Ohio
Youngstown State University Youngstown Ohio
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Rapid City South Dakota
West Virginia University Morgantown West Virginia
West Virginia University Institute of Technology Beckley West Virginia
Milwaukee School of Engineering Milwaukee Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Madison Madison Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point Stevens Point Wisconsin
3 Likes

Ok. This is great! Thanks!

Seconding U Cincinnati for their co-op program, solid honors, Cincinatus scholarship.

You can explore/“join the mailing list”
Case Western Reserve (Topnotch private)
UMN-TC (topnotch ChemE=highly competitive)
UWisconsin (excellent all around)
Iowa state
Illinois Insitute of Technology
University of Kansas (KU)
MSOE
Michigan State
UNebraska (easy to get into)

3 Likes

Just go to ABET.org and use the accreditation search to find chemical engineering programs in the desired states.

2 Likes

That’s what I did - and guessed on which states of interest.

If OP really had a money crunch (we don’t know) and had solid grades and potentially a solid test score, then the south would most likely provide the best “value” but OP is looking at the MW.

If you would consider flying:

University of Iowa or Iowa State. He can apply online the summer before senior year and get an acceptance in about a week if he meets the Regents Admission Index score. It’s a nice acceptance to have going into senior year as it takes a lot of the pressure off. First-year Students - Iowa State University

The University of Minnesota is a very easy flight from NY. Flights to Minnesota tend to be plentiful and cheap and the airport is very easy to navigate.

Both the University of Colorado Boulder and Colorado State University are easily accessible (there are reliable airport shuttles) to Denver International Airport.

It is an added expense, but moving S23 cross country via JetBlue was a lot easier than I thought it would be. It also means less time off of work for us as we only have to do an airport pick up rather than spend a full day or two driving to a place that may be closer and not worth or accessible to a flight. And we don’t have to pay for a hotel. We use a Jet Blue credit card and often end up with free flights.

1 Like

I’d like to add - that while many of these schools are easy to get into –
Dont let that fool you on the quality of their education!

midwest schools are made for most of the students in their states – there arent enough kids to delineate. However the education is solid. kids get jobs everywhere based on what they do and learn in college. They provide great value, and a great education.

ISU (iowa state) boasts the largest career fair west of the mississippi. These schools are motivated for the sake of their students and communities.

4 Likes

I took from the original post that applying to outside your region would be a benefit to acceptance chances. I don’t think that this is likely for a student from New York applying to the big midwestern schools. For example, the OP mentioned Oho State. New York is already the second most common state after Ohio. At all the other big midwestern schools, New York is going to be one of the most represented states.

2 Likes

Ohio State has a wonderful engineering department including Chem E. Also, depending on stats Ohio State offered my child the most money in scholarships although that was several years ago and I hear it’s gotten more competitive. Large school with very much a campus feel.
One thing we recommended to our child was to make sure the school chosen would have many options. Ohio State has a lot to offer. Our child chose Ohio State (from out of state) with direct admit to engineering. Ultimately, he changed his major and ended up graduating from the Fisher School of Business which also has a lot to offer.

2 Likes