Might get a D for CALC and Java

Hello guys, last year I received both C’s for AP JAVA and AP CALC AB And this last semester I am in danger of getting a D for these classes. I’m at a 70.1 for JAVA and a 64.6 for AP CALC. I lost all hope in Calc because it is very impossible to raise it up as the teacher haven’t entered our last two tests. He doesn’t give out any extra credit and our last test is the finals. I had talked to him about this situation and the only advice he told me was to past the last test and after taking the test I felt like I failed even though I studied for about 4 hours. For Java I believe I can get a C if I study hard enough but I’m still kind of worried. If I were to get a D for calc and java how will that affect my waitlist positions at UCI UCD and UCSC and my admissions at UCR? I’ve never received a D in my highschool career before and I have already taken 4 years of math prior to AP CALC (Algebra 1and 2, Pre Calc and Geometry) getting mostly A’s and a few B’s in those classes. People have told me that AP CALC and AP JAVA is not in the a-g requirement but I’m pretty sure I still have to pass these classes with a C or more. This year had been a hard year for me because my grandpa had passed away. I haven’t been as focused as much in school because of that reason. As my final semester I see myself getting A’s in my other classes but for my AP classes Im not certain. I’m planning on majoring in Business/Economics if that helps. I’m just very scared that I will get rescinded from these schools and not go to college.

A D would most likely move you off the waitlist to the thanks for applying list. The recommendation is no Ds, Fs or Felonies. And yes, you might be rescinded. Any chance you can drop the Calc at this point?

I tried dropping calc the beginning of second semester but my counselor doesn’t let anyone drop out of an AP class but other counselors do. So I don’t think so

That’s doing you a big disservice. Get your parents involved in that discussion

Would your counselor be more sympathetic to dropping calculus if you told her about the impact of your grandfather’s death and now that affected you emotionally, academically, with concentration and study. His death has zapped your energy and motivation, especially when a,class is already very difficult.

Agree. Also watch your grammar when you communicate with schools.

My plan if I do get a D is to email the schools explaining my situation would that work and not get me rescinded?

Hi!

I would definitely email the school about this! I was in the same situation last year, after being accepted into a prestigious school. I failed a final exam due to some terrible news I had received priar and the professor had a strict rule about failing the exam then you fail the class. So I reached out to the school, had a conference and they really took that into consideration! But unfortunately since it was an F, my acceptance was deferred for the fall. May be different for you!

Damn I’m sorry for what happened. May I ask what school did you apply to that got you deferred and also did you contact the college with your news?

Bump

Bump