Minor in Business?

I’ll be a freshman this fall in Engineering, I looked up the requirements to minor in business:

http://mays.tamu.edu/degrees-and-majors/undergraduate-degrees/minor-in-business/

and I was wondering about the process, do you have to apply to minor in business? Do you have to apply to Mays? Or are you just awarded a minor in business after you’ve completed all the required classes?

You do have to apply for a minor, you do not apply to be in Mays (you’d apply through engineering). Business minors are not allowed to take the same courses as Mays students who major in business. They have specific courses just for non-business majors. You might end up extending your time frame at A&M to complete both, look at sequencing of your courses to see if you have the available spaces & when you’ll need to take them to finish on time. If you are on scholarship, find out the impact if you have to stay longer before you head down that path.

@tamuco2019, perhaps get a semester or two out of the way before you decide. You’ll have plenty of engineering requirements and pre-reqs to focus on that first year and you may even end up changing your major. My son added a business minor junior year, and the courses are mainly “survey” type classes (overviews of the subjects). He is really enjoying the classes and the break from engineering type courses. Like @AGmomx2 says, you do apply through engineering. But it’s more like notifying your advisor than “applying”. I think it’s sort of automatic that you are allowed to do it. Is that your understanding AGmom2x?

My understanding is you’re required to have a 2.5 GPA and be in your second year before your advisor “approves” the business minor. Seems pretty straight forward.

@Barfly I agree with you, I think they just make sure that you know you HAVE to complete the minor once you declare it. I think that’s why so many students wait until junior year to declare minors, even if they start working on them earlier.

Worry about freshman level course right now. With the new entry to a major program, it’ll be hard enough just to get into an upper level program. Perhaps 1st or second semester sophomore year you can start looking at minors, etc.