Minors at VT

<p>What does applying for a "restricted" minor actually entail? I plan on majoring in civil engineering and I have heard about the difficulty and extreme workload of an engineering major at VT, so how would a business or econ minor impact my workload? Is it commonplace fo engineering majors at VT to pursue a minor?</p>

<p>bump.......</p>

<p>I can't tell you what minors are commonplace for engineering minors at VT, but I am pretty sure that a "restricted" minor simply means that the school will only grant that minor to a restricted number of students each year. I believe this is done to control the number of students in certain classes. At least this is how "restricted" majors work.</p>

<p>My daughter is getting a business minor (Merchandising major). To do so (and graduate in 4 years) we had to lay out a pretty detailed plan to be sure she was able to get all of her major, minor, and core classes in. It left her with only 2 (I believe) true electives. So if you are thinking of a business minor, I would strongly recommend you get the list of classes you need for that minor (easily done from their website) and compare those to your Engineering major and core requirements - to see where you there is overlap and come up with a plan early. Also, talk to your advisor about it. At least in my daughter's experience, they have been very helpful.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Does anyone know when students are given their advisors?</p>

<p>I believe they are assigned advisors when they go for orientation and sign up for fall classes. They may not necessarily meet with those advisors then, but there will be someone that helps them when selecting classes.</p>