MIS major?

<p>My son is thinking of changing his major. Management Information Systems has come up as a possiblity. Does anybody know anything about this major? My son says it is new, so I am a little leery. It is part of the business college.</p>

<p>lol…No, it’s not new…not at all. Can’t find the exact age, but I’d guess at least 20 years old.</p>

<p>Bama is strong in MIS.</p>

<p><a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business;

<p>[Culverhouse</a> - Programs - Management Information Systems Program At The University Of Alabama](<a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business)</p>

<p>To give you some history…Dr. Sharpe (the current dean of the Honors College) came to UA in 1991 and he was hired as a MIS prof…so, it’s at least that old. I’d guess it’s going on at least 30 years.</p>

<p>*TUSCALOOSA, Ala. —The Management Information Systems program at The University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce is ranked No. 16 out of 124 programs at both public and private universities, according to a BusinessWeek survey of students.
<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2012/10/ua-mis-program-no-16-in-businessweek-rankings/[/url]”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2012/10/ua-mis-program-no-16-in-businessweek-rankings/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also…</p>

<p>Hale said the recognitionand continued improvement of the program was the focus of a just-concluded MIS Executive Forum.</p>

<p>Firms represented include: Accenture, Alfa, AT&T, Atlanta Falcons, AutoZone, Bentley Systems, Books-a-Million, CGI Consulting, Cliffs Natural Resources, CTS Consulting, dunnhumby, E&Y, Energen, Equifax, Flip, General Motors, HP, Lowe’s, Procter & Gamble, Regions, ThyssenKrupp, Southern Co., The Home Depot, Unum and Wal-Mart.</p>

<p>Last year these partners provided more than 140 scholarships to UA MIS students.*</p>

<p>DD’s boy friend is a MIS major along with several of her sorority sisters. He has had LOTS of projects this semester…seems quite time consuming! According to DD you can go either project MIS way (do developing projects for MIS) or the Computer Science way (programing). Her boyfriend is going the project way with a minor in computer Science.</p>

<p>According to D1, MIS has a 100% job placement rate.</p>

<p>My D is in CBHP and MIS major. She is already on a Capstone Team working on a project and that same project served as her CBHP research that she presented. She’s landed a competitive paid internship for this summer here in the Chicago area, which only took 6 interns … And she’s just in her 2nd year although she’s a junior academically now. All of this on the back of the wonderful opportunities at UA. Certainly, not a poor choice to choose MIS! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>MIS has been around for awhile and seems to be the only major which actively advertises to current students and encourages them to switch their major to MIS. That said, I seem to only hear positive things about the MIS program and feel that it is a great fit for many students.</p>

<p>3kids - As an IT manager at a major corporation that does a lot of college recruiting, I can tell you that the MIS/IT kids from Bama that I have interviewed have been very impressive. I have talked to other managers at my company and others and they say the same thing, Bama does a good job of preparing the kids for the workforce.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>MemphisGuy, what about the CS students?</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>RIP - When I refered to “IT” along with MIS I was intending all of the canidates we have spoken to in IT from Bama. Bama does a very good job of preparing them for the interview process and from what I can tell, to be ready for today’s job market.</p>

<p>I don’t have a Bama grad on my team but have interviewed a few for others and have always been impressed.</p>