MIS Major

<p>After finishing my fourth semester of cc with a 2.8 gpa I am looking into a couple colleges for my MIS major. Arizona has been on my mind as of late because I have the opportunity for in-state tuition there as well as Kansas. I am considering the University of Arizona against going to Kansas State University or The University of Kansas. All of the schools are top 50 public school business schools, but Arizona’s is currently ranked 3rd in the nation by some for MIS. For anyone with experience from this program, what did you think of it? Is it worth the extra 6k for tuition compared to my other options? Also finding jobs outside of Arizona, would that be an issue?</p>

<p>Any input would be appreciated, I am through indecisive about this subject at the moment…</p>

<p>My comment/advise would be this, for the moment put aside ranking, an employer does not choose between a Kansas Grad and a UofA grad based on ranking of their respective programs, nor content, an employer simply wants to know whether you can do the job and will fit in with the ‘team’. So if you put aside the ranking, the important question which should lead you to the ‘right’ decision is this: Where do you want to spend the next 2 to 2.5 years, In Tucson or Kansas.</p>

<p>Now I know nothing of Kansas but I do know a number of big heathcare IT employers in the region who might well be good employers after such a program, not so much in Tucson which really only has a few mainly defence employers and the University itself which employs a number.</p>

<p>As the parent of a UofA son, my son is having a great time at UofA and cannot think of being anywhere else, its been a great experience for him, he is in Eller and doing well and will graduate on time.</p>

<p>Bigger question is it worth $6K extra, maybe not, because both will be BA/BS, there really is no extra value in ranked programs to an employer, but if you want to live in Tucson vs Kansas it may be worth the investment.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice. As much as I would love to live in either of the two college towns, I am concerned about finding the best opportunity for me to find jobs OUTSIDE of each of the two states. I believe that while Arizona would be the best school and Kansas the best value. Right now I am beginning more research on U of A and it sounds to me that I would have trouble getting into that program. I will have to look into the IT firms here in Kansas as well!</p>