Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

@CaliMex Way to hit me with the hard questions!

The most tangible opportunities were trips abroad. But the smaller things were just as significant: small classes, teachers who took the time to get to know me, the chance to try new sports and musical opportunities. I never would’ve had the chance to row or take voice lessons or live with great friends if I’d stayed home. Highlights include long dinners in the dining hall and bringing friends home for long weekend. :slight_smile:

Happy Father’s Day to all the supportive, wise, and encouraging dads on CC!! Hope you have a wonderful day and are surrounded by lots of love :-*

Happy Father’s Day to skidad, both skigramps, skibisabuelo, and all other dads (and those who serve in lieu of/in addition to dads).

Happy Father’s Day to all … and to all soccer fans: ¡Viva México!

Been idly reading Urban Dictionary for the best comments. There are many contenders, but thus far the one that amused me most was, “takes a kid throwing up on the dean’s desk to even get suspended.”

Got a chuckle out of two stickers on the back window of a very large van at the grocery store this morning:

• I used to be cool.
  • Honk if a kid falls out.

I considered waiting around to make a friend.

I was not aware that skimom went grocery shopping today, =))

Speaking of bumper stickers… My husband, who had previously vowed NEVER to put a bumper sticker on the family car, is now eager to afix a Thacher sticker. Our kid has prohibited such a move until AFTER move-in day.

Wow…I have been under a rock…! @CaliMex we, too, sported our SMS sticker after move-in day…but it wouldn’t have mattered because the car will not likely make it up to the school! That was my first bumper sticker/car decal. Buuznkid2 and I are packing (while unpacking) for our trip to SoCal! If anyone has suggestions (I PMd a few peeps) for visiting Ojai & Carpenteria, I’d love to hear them. We are staying in Santa Barbara for two days…I will be working, so the kids will appreciate walking distance suggestions while there. I’d appreciate tips for a self tour of Thacher via hiking trails, since the gates and school will be closed…and as all of you may remember…I’m all about good eats, so if you know of any there…please point me in the right direction! TIA!!!

@buuzn03: I think the restaurant in Ojai that ThacherParent recommended to me years ago was Boccali’s…just a pizza joint, but excellent.

Ya’ll know I’m a car-person, right? No bumper stickers for me. Only one of our cars has the kid’s school stickers (7D1’s only so far) on it. Driver’s-side cargo-area window on the SUV (wife’s daily driver). Because I’m subtle like that. :wink: We had a George School magnet on the back, but need to get something for the window, along with another college decal. What’s ostensibly the “kids” car, an oder Subie wagon handed down by some generous grandparents has the UD window sticker in same location…will put 7D2’s college sticker in same place.

In unrelated news, does anyone here like Son Volt? Listening to Trace here at work and I think Jay Farrar gets a raw deal compared to Jeff Tweedy (who went on to found Wilco and have a much bigger career than his former bandmate).

@buuzn03 I stayed in Ojai one night and the hotel recommended Ojai Beverage Company restaurant. It looked good, but i was :20 too early, and didn’t have time to wait, so I ended up going to a Mexican place next door. Mexican was pretty good; Ojai B.C. looked really good.

@SevenDad That one window sticker identified you guys at that Emma Willard open house :wink:

@SevenDad We are listening to Train (do kids even know them?) while driving up the coast with the OBX sticker on the “woodie” :D/ … look for us and hitch a ride!

We have few bumper stickers these days but the rear of my last car was held together by them. I cannot begin to tell you how many conversations I had with unlikely strangers at gas stations and parking lots. Only 1 was hostile (and not because of the George School sticker.) I miss those encounters. Y’all have made me wonder if I should start personalizing the current vehicle…

I never put the Mercersburg sticker on my battered old car, and I haven’t yet put it on the new one, although I intend to. Both my husband and I have decided to become the kind of obnoxious parents who put their children’s colleges on their rear window. I may take SevenDad’s suggestion and put them on the side, though, because my rear window seems unusually narrow (Honda CR-V).

In a more somber note, my sister just called to tell me they’ve lost their home in the Spring fire in Colorado. There is not even a clue that it was ever there…prayers to all of those that lost homes or more and hope they can get the fire under control very soon.

Historically, our cars have had OUR college sticker on them. Kiddo can deface his own car with his schools someday.

Oh no, @buuzn. My post is out of place because I typed it while still on the previous page before I saw this. I’m so sorry about your sister’s loss but glad she is unhurt. Prayers and hugs from me. :frowning:

Oh dear, @buuzn03 . Will be thinking of them…