Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Dang! That WASN’T today’s word, ski. :rage:

I think I need a cocktail.

3 Likes

Yeah, and today’s word was a bit obscure. Certainly a valid word, but not one I often use.

1 Like

Yeah, weird one. But, similar to the British slang used last week, the Wordle dictionary appears to be international.

Wordle 255 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Well, the developer is Welsh, and originated on a .UK website, although he now lives in New York. So I guess no surprise that some if the words are more common across the pond.

3 Likes

Thanks @skieurope ….next week is :shamrock: and your post reminded me to get in gear to make my annual Irish Coffee-Cake Irish Coffee!
It’s made with fire……and a toasted marshmallow on top of the Whiskey laced whipped cream. Yes - it’s a dessert cocktail….or a breakfast treat for some of us!

4 Likes

Recipe please. :pleading_face:

1 Like

Here is my Flaming Irish Coffee-Cake Irish Cofee

2 large Marshmallows
1/2 ounce Irish Mist liqueur
1/2 ounce Bailey’s
1/2 ounce Irish Whiskey (I prefer Ballyhoo)
Small splash of Frangelico (if desired for a little nutty taste)
3 tablespoons sugar (4 if you like is really sweet)
Pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon
3/4 cup of coffee
Whipped cream blended with Ballyhoo

First step:
Rinse the wine glass or Irish Coffee glas with hot water - heat it up

• Place one marshmallow into the bottom of the glass
  • Pour the Irish Mist into the glass
  • Carefully rotate the glass (some people light up the liquor in the glass - but you need a sturdy glass and this is risky, and not necessary)
  • Fill the glass with the coffee
  • Add the Ballyhoo
  • Add the Baileys and Frangelico
  • Stir in the sugar
  • top with whipped cream (that has the Ballyhoo whipped into it)
  • Place the marshmallow on top of the whipped cream and carefully “toast” it with the long lighter or one of those fancy contraptions for Creme Brûlée from Williams Sonoma to melt it!

USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN MAKING THIS BEVERAGE.
DRINK RESPONSIBLY - DO NOT SHARE WITH MINORS
WORKS FOR THE OTHER 364 DAYS, TOO!

2 Likes

So, switching gears slightly to the more topical, I would like to nominate @CavsFan2003 for the 2022 college confidential BS success story.

They received a likely letter from Columbia today, and had already received EA acceptances from Caltech, IU, Purdue, UMich, and I might have missed a couple.

If you’ve followed their journey since before BS, you will see that there were some long odds to overcome to get here.

Congratulations.

20 Likes

Ahh thank you so much, it means… I can’t even say how much it means. Actually tearing up a little bit :sob:

Never would I have imagined that I’d be getting such good news this process. I couldn’t have ever done it without y’alls support!

15 Likes

I was about to submit the form to be a first link volunteer to welcome newly admitted families. It seems they are really in need as we keep getting emails. I would like to do it because due to a glitch, we didn’t get one last year when kiddo 1 was accepted and felt lost for a while. However, I am thinking that if kiddo number 2 gets bad news on M10, I won’t feel much like welcoming people who did get admitted. What to do?

Doesnt sibling priority help / almost guarantee admission to the same school (assuming sibling is similar/also as strong)

@AnonMomof2 , I think odds for kiddo2 are good. And I think you probably should hold off a year to sign up. But next year, having had 2 kids there and ones that entered as both 9th and 11th (is that right?), you’ll be able to answer anything!

2 Likes

Not so sure when you throw FA in the mix.

If you choose Michigan, I’ll start tearing up, too.

Go Blue!

(Huge congratulations wherever you go, @CavsFan2003. Well done.)

2 Likes

[quote=“AnonMomof2, post:6314, topic:1515810, full:true”] I am thinking that if kiddo number 2 gets bad news on M10, I won’t feel much like welcoming people who did get admitted. What to do?
[/quote]

I would wait until next year if there is any chance you won’t actually want to welcome new families.

2 Likes

@CavsFan2003 , so happy for you! Not at all surprised, btw. What great options! How to choose?

1 Like

I have NO idea :sob: I haven’t even started thinking about it yet… it’s going to be impossible

5 Likes

With undoubtedly more choices to come

3 Likes

Not always…I knew a very strong candidate with sibling legacy to Peddie who ended up in waitlist limbo. He ended up getting in as a new soph a year later, but the entire ordeal was a shock to us.

Anyways, congrats @cavsfan2003!

1 Like

With the current admissions climate, I don’t think anything is a guarantee!! Though I do think siblings have the best “hook”.

3 Likes