MIT Class of 2025 Regular Decision

MIT is one of my dream schools but I just got waitlisted from RSI today…

Haha don’t worry. I got rejected from RSI but things eventually turned out well for me in junior/senior year

1 Like

I think among HYPS, Princeton will be comparatively easier as they didn’t had Early action this year, and also for yield purpose, Princeton might make a much more longer waitlist as compared to MIT and HYS

So well said! Any school will be lucky to have you. You’ve handled your rejection very gracefully and exactly how a rejection should be handled. It’s not personal. There are so many articles out there that say how some schools can admit numerous identical classes to the class they just admitted. I think Stanford is famous for saying that. Heck what you wrote makes me think I could’ve applied and deserved to be admitted! Kidding!

No one is entitled to an admission anywhere. People who are bitter about a rejection, or feel they or their kid is wrong, need to look in the mirror and wonder what kind of lesson and values they are teaching or learning as well as being gracious about others who were either accepted or not accepted. Getting into college is hard and not everyone gets what they want, but it does usually work out.

7 Likes

A’s in rigorous math and science classes can also indicate aptitude.
I suspect that at least 75% of applicants are qualified and could succeed there.

Yes, it was a tough year for all our kids…if anything the class of 2025 will be the grittiest class and will carry that with them throughout their college careers and life…wish you all the best and good luck to those accepted.

5 Likes

SSP is also good!

1 Like

Denied. The admissions office did not see the fit. My numbers are 99th percent, my extras are respectable my path has been different than most high achieving STEM friends I know and every path is awesome. Of all the applications I enjoyed MIT the most and it gave me time to reflect in areas that helped me along the way. Congratulations to everyone accepted or denied. You will find a fit and now more than ever your impact will only be limited by YOU not the institutions whose mantle you carry.

8 Likes

Thank you for this. My dad says, wherever you fit, reach across the invisible barriers that divide people/institutions. I read about the hidden college at MIT and other schools. The college that self organizes and assembles based on interest and merit like never before. Wherever I enroll I hope I will reach across oceans and institutional reputations to meet and create an invisible college. Congratulations to all.

5 Likes

LMAOOOO I applied test-optional and got in so they definitely did accept at least some T/O people. And no, I was no international math champion. It’s not fair to assume that just because people applied test-optional, they have weak math skills. I had a test score well above a 700 but because I only took the SAT once with minimal prep, my score wasn’t a perfect 800, and I knew that wasn’t fully representative of my math skills I just chose not to submit it. I’m assuming all the other parts of my application showed fit and my ability as I hoped they would and that’s why I was accepted. Also, assuming a single test is definitive of someone’s entire mathematical ability just doesn’t make sense to me and comes off a little classist considering the stark difference in educational opportunity in this country. That being said, there were SO SO many extremely qualified applicants this year and if you weren’t accepted just know you’ll be just as successful at whatever university you decide to go to because whatever you put in you’ll get out.

6 Likes

My guess is we will see TO admissions in the 20-30 percent range in the Ivies. College admission is turning away from stats and more towards a holistic admission process. Georgia Tech just announced that this year they looked at test scores, if submitted, after they had read the entire application and submission so as to not color their opinion of the applicant.

Congrats on your admit!

3 Likes

As they should! I’m glad. No student can be defined by one number. And thank you!

1 Like

Interesting. My S21 got into GT this year. Can you point me to where they announced this?

I think it was re tweeted by Rick Clark who I follow on Twitter (he is the head of GT Admissions) - some one talking about how colleges were determining yield this year quoted him. Don’t have the link handy but will edit if I find it.

1 Like

Did you submit any standardized test scores or place in any national math competitions? AP scores, particularly Calculus AB or BC? Math proficiency is a big deal for MIT. They flat out say so on their website that the SAT Math score correlates with scholastic performance at MIT. (getting an 800 of the SAT math or SAT subject math II is not difficult) I find it hard to believe that MIT would accept anyone without any standardized math scores or documented performance on national math competitions like AMC (American Math Competitions). MIT requires all students to take two semesters of multi-variable calculus.

All you assume about me is things that you wrongly inferred and transferred. All I am saying is that MIT STATES VERY CLEARLY ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT THEY FIND THE SAT MATH SECTION SCORE CORRELATES WELL WITH SUCCESS AT THEIR INSTITUTION. therefore, I don’t see MIT accepting students who don’t show basic math proficiency, either standardized scores in ACT, SAT, SAT subject tests, AP scores, or national math competitions. Got it?

Possibly, however . . .

Schools vary in their grading system and their grade inflation. That’s why standardized tests are so important–they are a standardized measure across the nation and the world.

I know of a school where a kid got an A’s in Calculus 3/linear algebra/advance diff equations and didn’t pass the AP Calculus AB exam. This kid did do well on the SAT math section, so you may be onto something. After all, SAT math section is not hard.

doubt MIT believes vigor of high school math classes unless MIT is very familiar with the rigor of the school.

MIT clearly says that SAT math score correlates with success at their school. When kids drop out, it costs the school money. I think they are big on vetting this characteristic because they mention on their website.

1 Like

I believe it for other selective schools, but I find it hard to believe for the tech schools because of their math and science requirements for graduation.

Same wondering here. If more details are provided that demonstrated MIT the specialty, it would be more convincing.

No, like I stated before, I did not submit scores and am not a math champion of any sort. I’m sorry if “you find it hard to believe” but it did happen. The MIT admissions committee was able to get enough of an understanding of my mathematical proficiency by my grades as they should and had stated they would. There’s an entire pandemic threatening the lives of students and their loved ones and significantly limiting testing options. It’s not your average year and because of that they had to go about things differently this year. It’s not that complicated. Also, I didn’t make any assumptions about you personally. I don’t know you. I simply observed that the statement you made neglected to consider how the difference in opportunity provided to different racial and socioeconomic groups could affect standardized testing for students. Standardized testing is problematic because all students don’t receive a standard education, standard academic opportunity, and standardized test prep opportunity. Anyways, that’s pretty much all I have to say about that.

In the year of BLM, Be less white, White = privilege/racist, and Test Optional, my prediction is that white and Asian kids are going to get screwed! All the top schools ar e politically liberal and they can tell by your last name and the fact that you didn’t check a racial identity on your application that you’re white or Asian (rational assumption that minority groups would list their racial identity, while Asians and whites likely skip this question.)

Don’t shoot the messenger. Just my prediction.