MIT Class of 2025 Regular Decision

As an EC, I can confirm those rise in applicant numbers. It’s been crazy. Normally I only interview students in my region. Last year I did 13 interviews. This year it’s been 34 and counting. Yep, my last two will be later this week. Also, for the first time ever, I’ve met with students who were out of state, and also three foreign countries. We won’t get to all the students on the list, and we all feel terrible about that. But I also know that MIT has enough information without the interview reports to make great decisions.

When I read the admit list the day after the applicants get their notifications, it’s going to hurt to see how many did not get accepted. That said, some will get in. Two of my EA got in. Best of luck to all.

2 Likes

Is there a way to request an interview? Are your chances lower if you did not get offered an interview?

There really isn’t a way to request one. Believe me, MIT and the EC’s are aware of the situation. No, an applicant’s chances are not lower. The only time a lack of interview affects an applicant’s chances is if they one. Then their chances go way, way down.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Edit: …affects an applicant’s chances is if they refuse one.

Hope that makes more sense.

Thank you very much!

Does MIT usually release its RD on March 14? Anyone heard anything about this year?

1 Like

No one knows what’s going on yet.

1 Like

I have seen that they usually have a tradition of releasing a Pi Day video on their channel : MITBloggers, which bears the notification date and time.
Moreover, the video also has Stu Schmill (Dean Of Admissions & Student Financial Services).
What I’ve noticed is that they release the video for that year on 7th or 8th March.
So may be in a day or two we will have official confirmation.

Meanwhile, you can check the previous year’s Pi Day videos on their channel’s playlist here. Pi-Day videos(MIT)

1 Like

I’d really appreciate your help on the topic that I’m going through in my head since past 2-3 days.
So, it was the same time around a wekk ago, I was watching the Pi-Day videos as you people would’ve been doing, and also focusing on my maths-chemistry-physics classes (as I wanna major in it, and had 98/100 in mid-year, and I wanted to improve further) and then I started to remember my journey to applying to MIT …

I never really though of US as an option for me, as I thought that my family is still recovering from a decade-long financial crisis and I knew cost of living and studying would be beyond my imagination(my family income is $27-28k per annum). Then this happened . . . . . .

India’s JEE-Advanced results were announced in late Sept, 2020 and the [All India Rank] AIR 1 - Chirag Falor, said he was already admitted to MIT. That made me think and I didn’t mind doing a google search. I don’t remember how that one search consumed my full day, and just showed me a path towards my goal. I had things planned to do in India, but seeing it all just ushered on me like a blessing.

So, as you know, I started to know about all these and started my application to MIT on 6th Oct, 2020. Then I understood the process, the really generous financial aid; while also doing the best work for my mid-year exams.
I didn’t ever thought that I was even eligible to apply to these schools (and also lack of info. as I got access to internet when I was starting my junior year, class 9th; and my personal laptop came in nov.2019, with a smartphone in june 2020) So, I was going through my high school and enjoying it as it is, and so doing the ECs and stuff that really excited me, not just to get into some college.
Then, the more I got to know MIT, more I felt like it is my dream school, the perfect balance, where there are nerds with an awesome sense of humor. Reading the blog posts by various MIT alumni and students, all made my decisions firm.

I can’t change myself and start doing activities and portray a fake version of me. So I did what I was doing, but surely through the application process I learnt new and better ways of doing what i wanted to, and more and more resources opened up in front of me. I had a better knowledge of myself as a person.
I’ve also read the posts by Stu Schmill, and really the principles he writes and the life advice he gives, most of them were in me already, but do got strengthened by reading him.

I don’t really know of my chances, and I’d have died of happiness even if I got a chance of interview with MIT, which unfortunately I didn’t :sweat_smile:

I can say my chances are “y = x”, where limit of x tends to 0.

and even if I get rejected, it doesn’t matter, as MIT has already made an impact on me and made me realize the resources that I have, but was unaware of.

SO, that’s my long story :joy: … but the thing is that now, out of gratitude I want to really thank them from the bottom of my heart for embarking me on this awesome journey, which taught me many things and brought about a better person of me.

should I mail them ? :sweat_smile: (like I really want to)
and if yes, then whom to mail, Stu Schmill or the admissions office ?

Good luck with your applications. There are also a number of good colleges in India where you can pursue your interests. Hope you are also applying to them.

I don’t see the point of sending what you wrote to MIT… maybe I am missing something but I am not sure if writing something like this will help or hurt your chances. If you just want to express your gratitude, maybe wait until the results come out?

1 Like

yeah that makes sense.
Well, it was not intended for chances or smthing, just its something i want to thank them for as if it hadn’t been MIT, then I’d be like a fish of a pond, waiting to complete the Bachelor’s and then planning to look beyond. But, I learnt that it’s never “later”, everything is “now”. I learnt so much on this journey of application, and just wanted to show my gratitude towards them.

But, yeah it may sound otherwise, so I may wait until the decisions day and then I’ll mail them :grin:

Portal has been updated.

1 Like

With a decision?

Checklist gone!

1 Like

Yeah, same for me

Not yet.

1 Like

Yup. Same here …
Pi Day is coming !!!

Yay! MIT has their %#!* together!

3 Likes