MIT Class of 2027 Official Thread

Really? Give the stats and then we will compare!

2 Likes

Absolutely not in our district! Give stats and we will compare.
The day the smart kids donā€™t apply to these colleges is the day there acceptance rates will finally go down !

1 Like

The schools can accept whoever they want and in many cases many qualified students get rejected, unfortunately. Iā€™ve been through this process with my older son and now my younger son. So many people told my son with his credentials he would get accepted everywhere and he just might be rejected by all of his remaining several colleges.

I often wonder if parents who donā€™t raise student-athletes understand the commitment of a kid who can play his/her sport to the level of being recruited by MIT while also becoming class salutatorian (then add volunteer time, STEM ECs, etc. into their daily activities). MIT coaches will not engage with prospective student-athletes until seeing grades. MIT coaches write supporting letters to admissions for their recruits, but do not have spots in the incoming class (unlike just about every other school in America). MIT is one of the few meritocracies left in American colleges and insulting student-athletes, as hurt as one may be by an admissions decision, is simply not the answer.

30 Likes

So you are angry because 2 athletically talented and academically high achieving students from your district went to MIT? The school is putting together a student body of their choice. The vast majority of athletes that are at the Ivyā€™s and schools like MIT are high achievers academically.

9 Likes

Delete

2 Likes

Carolyn, I really think you need to move on. Insulting talented students that got admitted is just completely inappropriate. You are obviously upset and rather than attach others, maybe you should reflect and congratulate all the accepted students, even the athletes.

15 Likes

Son, Valedictorian, National Merit Finalist, 18 APs mostly 5ā€™s and 4ā€™s. Recruited athlete. Want me to keep going?

16 Likes

Hey, my current senior did not apply to MIT this year, but his older brother applied in 2015. He didnā€™t get in and we were pretty upset at first. (Fortunately, in his case, he had some really great options already locked up so it softened the blow.) We decided to not even have our last son bother because the application is so complicated and the chances so slim. If our other son couldnā€™t get in with a 36 eight years ago, it wasnā€™t going to be any easier this year.

I just wanted to let all of you who are disappointed know that everything will work out great. It hurts right now, but you (or your child) will be fine. You are, clearly, bright and accomplished kids. You may not see it now, but your future is bright.

I will admit that I canā€™t think of PI day without thinking of MIT ā€“ hence my visit here. But it is just like, "Oh, yeah, remember when we thought that was such a big deal? " Seems so minor now.

Good luck to you all!

23 Likes

It is understandable, but unfortunate, when people throw shade on other students out of frustration of not getting into MIT. Iā€™m just used to seeing it student <-> student, not parent <-> someone elseā€™s kid.

7 Likes

That is my concern. They were not the most qualified. When do we as parents not play this game. My kid did track and field a heavily involved in the arts with better grades and scores.

Show Stats and extra curriculars before you all think sports is so special

1 Like

I appreciate this perspective, and think itā€™s the right one. Itā€™s why we have this category of blog posts: Denied by MIT, Now [X] | MIT Admissions

3 Likes

Plus we knew he wouldnā€™t get in. Look up xxxxxxx from our district in 2016. Has articles all over the place. Got in all ivies plus Stanford etcā€¦. mistake was EA MIT.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry you didnā€™t get the result you were hoping for for your son. Even schools once considered targets are rapidly becoming reaches even for top students, all the more so for top schools like MIT. It is brutal. It really, really is. But itā€™s not because of the athletes, itā€™s just the sheer volume of applications colleges are getting now. There are so many amazing kids out there and there just arenā€™t spots for them all at the top schools. Thatā€™s all it is and the competition has gotten more and more intense as high achievers vie for very limited spots. I wish it werenā€™t this way for our kids.

But ultimately colleges get to pick who they want using the criteria that they want. In your example, one year they took a salutatorian who played good football, but this year they did not take the valedictorian. So they decided that a studentā€™s proficiency and dedication to a sport compensated for the tenth of point lower his GPA might have been. This is far from outrageous. And they can be multiple other factors going into the final decision that you just arenā€™t privy to. Nor should you be.

I hope you are able to let go of your bitterness and come to terms with the rejection. And if you canā€™t come to terms with it, I hope you can just let it go. Not only for your own sake, but for your sonā€™s sake. Whatever you may be thinking about the process right now, it does not serve your son well to see this kind of bitterness, speculation, and animosity towards others. Model taking the high road. Model resilience. Model optimism. Those qualities will serve him much better as he embarks on this new chapter of his life, wherever that chapter may unfold.

19 Likes

I want to thank MIT for a wonderful application process and my son was not admitted. He put in so much work into the application and essays, had an amazing hour and half interview. My son like many if not most of your applicants was qualified, he may not have been admitted but he grew through the process and learned a lot about himself, who knows there is always grad school.

17 Likes

Well thanks. Of course, it is easier for me to say so far removed from the situation.

3 Likes