MIT Class of 2027 Official Thread

Hello, we are not talking a tenth! If colleges don’t want the top one percent then what is higher education looking for

3 Likes

I have always felt that student athelete must have a seperate ivy college. These colleges must hold the same reputation but course load should be less. It is a huge disservice to all.
My cousin’s elder daughter goes to Satnford and she tells us how out of place the athelets feel at class.
It is a huge diservice to the professors and other students who come there to learn.
Atheletes must have a Harvard and MIT branch that gets them a good degree without the rigor and trains them to be intenational class atheltes.

3 Likes

My DD can’t find the results on the portal.

5 Likes

Come on let’s compare stats, gpa, and scores and letters then we will can all move on!

1 Like

Does anyone else have this problem (can’t find results).

3 Likes

We are not bitter at all. Actually knew the results before 6:28. I am just starting a conversation. Why should we give them the power?

3 Likes

I’m in 9th grade. I’m hanging around here just to pick up on any advice people have (I haven’t posted on a college subsection of CC before today). I do have an older brother who got into MIT and Princeton and chose Princeton. He had a 1600, 4.0 and 5.0, and (not 100% sure about this part) I think 6 5’s and 4 4’s on the APs. He also was a two sport varsity athlete (Golf and Basketball) and a varsity debater. He had a bunch of other stuff outside of school, but those were his stats.

7 Likes

Colleges want students to apply. The application process is a huge money maker for these schools. Now with many going test optional, even more applications are flowing in resulting in greater profit. I agree with you that it’s sad that qualified students are not being accepted and there are various reasons why but the colleges can accept whoever they want. Keep in mind that sports are also money makers for colleges.

3 Likes

Those are a lot of great achievements. Unfortunately, many other applicants have equal or greater achievements. And there just aren’t spots for all of them at MIT or other T20 school, so colleges have to make tough choices. They have the right to use whatever criteria they want to do so. But unfortunately, when some are accepted, others must be rejected. And that really sucks. But that is simply the reality of it.

8 Likes

I think that would be more the case if they did these things knowing full well that your son (or others like him) didn’t stand a chance. But that’s not the case - I bet you son absolutely did have a chance, he’s clearly a very competitive applicant. I realize that’s probably little consolation now, but I don’t think it was anything deceptive on the part of a college to let him believe that he had a shot. I’m sure he did have a good shot. But unfortunately it didn’t work out in the end.

3 Likes

Ok, you must know by now the Ivies plus other top tier schools have a gpa threshold they agree to admit. Doesn’t mean it’s the top.

3 Likes

All these colleges looking for anyone had cured cancer.

3 Likes

I told my son instead of getting a 36 on the ACT, you needed to cure cancer to get into MIT.

3 Likes

It may not be as simple as that, though. They are looking for strong academics plus other things that set the student apart or other things that will create a strong, interesting, somewhat diverse incoming class. That means looking at different kinds of extracurriculars, different skill sets, sometimes it’s an instrument, sometimes it’s a sport, sometimes it’s something else entirely. They are building a class and, to do so, they don’t just automatically take the tippy top layer of GPA or SAT score. Those things get you considered - even considered seriously - but then they need to look at the big picture of the incoming class as a whole, then consider institutional needs (and, yes, that may include a strong player in a certain sport). But it’s not just cutting off the top layer of students and admitting them without taking into consideration a well-rounded freshman class.

10 Likes

Because MIT can? It’s a private school, and it can do what it wants in terms of whom it accepts.

8 Likes
  1. Because it shows discipline
  2. It tangibly adds to MIT’s culture and accomplishments if they are better at sports.
6 Likes