MIT Class of 2027 Official Thread

MIT has told the ECs that all domestic RA applicants have been assigned an EC. There are still a few EA applicants who did not get an interview during that cycle that are unassigned at this point.

I’d wait a few more days. If you don’t hear anything by the end of this week, I’d contact the admissions office. ECs have to write interview reports and they are due by 2/6.

2 Likes

Thank you for this info!

I should have also pointed out to check your spam folder. Every year I have an applicant or two that doesn’t respond in a timely manner because the email made it to their spam folder.

2 Likes

So… the interviewer assigned to DS23 reached out and after a couple of mail exchanges said he will contact about the date and time but hasn’t gotten back since last Friday. He said he would reach out on Monday. My son sent a gentle reminder mail on Wednesday, no reply yet. Should we reach out to the Admission Office?

Yes we are from Canada :slight_smile: :canada:

1 Like

I’d give it a couple more days… people are busy and many of the interviewers are working (as opposed to retired). :slight_smile:

1 Like

My son was interviewed Jan. 3 by a retired alumni. Very informal, over zoom, and nothing stressful!

1 Like

most everyone must have got an interview. Some lasted about 45 min and other seem to have go over 90 min. What was your experience? My kid was about 80 min

1 Like

25 minutes. I might have been alarmed at that except my son’s Yale interview was only 30. :slight_smile: I think it depends on the person. (And my son did get accepted to Yale).

3 Likes

Off topic - sorry guys! But is it true that Yale is very selective about its interviews? And those who do get interviewed are high probability accepts? Just curious

Yale states that interviews are based on availability of alumni and that they try to offer an interview to every applicant. It has nothing to do with where you are in the admission process. The same is true of MIT. Based on admission stats, if you get offered a Yale interview you should not turn it down, as they are evaluative, and apparently people who did not get offered interviews are not hurt by that, but if you turn the interview down, it is reported back to Admissions (that’s the ‘stats’ I’m referring to as apparently those that turn down interviews don’t get accepted as often, although some do). People who were not offered interviews were accepted EA (on the other thread).

1 Like

Given the huge increase of applications, Yale has revised its policy to prioritize candidates about whom they want more information.

That said, there is no way of knowing if someone was offered an interview because Yale wanted more information or simply because there was an alumnus available.

Likewise, there is no way to know for sure if a student was not offered an interview because they were a clear admit, a clear deny, or there simply were not enough alumni available.

3 Likes

Not very selective. They try to get to everyone but that has become impossible in recent years. So, they prioritize candidates about whom they want more information. But that doesn’t mean you got an interview for that reason—there simply may have been enough alumni in your area. And it doesn’t mean you didn’t get one because they don’t need more information—there simply may not be enough alumni available.

2 Likes

Interesting. My son applied EA and the interviewer literally reached out 2 days before the decision date saying he was very busy and could not schedule ahead of time. Had to rush to find a time that works for both to get this done before the decision date. If this is important (as per CDS) to MIT I hope they put some rules on the deadline on the timeline they need to complete the interviews. My son was deferred but we felt this was such a rushed process.

It happened with my son too. His interview was scheduled 3 days before the decision date. He said the interview went well but had to cut short because it was on zoom so they had only 40 minutes. The interviewer was very nice. Even though he was sick that day he didn’t cancel the interview. But my sons friends had interview for almost 2 hours and they could cover everything they wanted to talk about, so now he is feeling his interview was rushed and he wished he had longer interview. He was deferred.

The interview is only considered if offered and it happens. If it doesn’t through no fault of the student’s then it won’t impact them negatively.

My EA accepted daughter’s interview was not very long but it went well. I don’t think length is necessarily an indication of quality so much as that interviewer’s style.

2 Likes

I get it. I was just saying it’s highly unlikely that the feedback the interviewer sent to the AO would be looked at on time if the interview happened 2 days before decision. I am assuming if they say its “Important” they would look at it.

1 Like

Did his friend get in?

1 Like

He applied for RD.