MIT Class of 2027 Official Thread

it broke the hearts of 25000+ hardworking students and their families

6 Likes

DD23 got in! Still cannot believe it. So happy! Was deferred EA.

9 Likes

Oh man! We are also waiting on Wesleyan, Holyoke & a few other 7 sisters (those being her topsā€¦we think lol)

I donā€™t even know about the safeties anymore. My son was deferred from Perdue when he clearly should have been accepted. You just never know, but it all works out in the end. Weā€™re waiting for several decisions which might all be rejections for a student who has great qualifications like so many others.

1 Like

Yep-- my twins have their safeties locked up and I think they feel pretty good about them (good merit, Honors, etc.) But that isnā€™t going to reduce the heartache that may be coming over the next 2+ weeks!

1 Like

best of luck to both of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats to your son on Caltech (seems their acceptance rate dipped below 3% this year, perhaps as low as 2% ā€¦ so your sonā€™s acceptance to Caltech is quite the accomplishment). While he may be bummed tonight, perhaps you can cheer him up with two photographs - one of Pasadena in December and another of Cambridge in December :wink:

12 Likes

But this year, with fewer applications (since not test-optional), the acceptance rate is higher than Fall 2021.

Fall 2022 (Class of 2027): 1259/26914 = 4.678%

Fall 2021 (Class of 2026): 1365/33796 = 4.039%

2 Likes

Rejected. 1550+ SAT, 3.9+ GPA, some olympiad/humanities/research ECs. Canā€™t say Iā€™m disappointed because I expected nothing.

4 Likes

That is such a sweet thing to say JJā€¦God bless youā€¦
Agreed every bit

2 Likes

Class of 2026 is 1337/33767 = 3.96% according to Admissions statistics | MIT Admissions

1 Like

aww :frowning:

Respectfully, can we not discuss acceptance rates tonight?

Itā€™s a tough night for many hard working, brilliant students who are hugely disappointed, perhaps heartbroken. Letā€™s give them support and encouragement.
And for those who were fortunate to be selected, letā€™s give them our congratulations.

And our best wishes for both groups in their respective onward journeys.

12 Likes

Done discussing.

Just explaining my numbers.

I took the Fall2021 accepted from ciceronisā€™s post
(I should have checked),
and the Fall2021 number of applications from this yearā€™s acceptance blog

When DS2022 was rejected by top colleges, the insane calculations of the low acceptance rates actually helped him deal with just how slim his odds were. Made the rejection easier since it was less personal.

10 Likes

I truly appreciate your words of wisdom and perspective in all of these threads, truly. Its so welcome and nice to readā€¦

1 Like

Son, Valedictorian, National Merit Finalist, at least 11 APā€™s plus 4 project Lead the the Way from RIT 101.81 weighted GPA and denied. Calling BS last year kid with 95 GPA but played Football (but played and kicked the ball once freshman year after acceptance to MIT). Year before that Salutatorian accepted to MIT again for football ? Both from our district. Why??

2 Likes

By the way, our daughter is graduating from Wesleyan University with a double major in May and loves it!

6 Likes

Some how, some where, we need to consolidate and not apply to these schools that give athletes an edge to our academic students. Maybe then things will change?

1 Like

Varsity athletes at MIT have a higher average MIT GPA than non-athletes.

17 Likes

My son is an athlete at MIT. The athletes on the team had very similar stats as other admitted students, higher in many cases.

12 Likes