Mites / mostec 2022

This has not been created yet, so I decided that we ought to start. This thread is for those that are applying to the MITES/MOSTEC programs for the 2022 season.

This thread is for general questions about the application, essay readings, etc. :parking:

3 Likes

Hi! Good luck to everyone! On what date decisions are notified?

I applied to both programs. I understand I will still be considered although MITES was eliminated. I’m sharing my stats for future reference:

Hispanic Male
NMSQT: 1470
SAT: 1460
GPA: 4.00/4.00
Calculus AP AB: 3/5
Spanish AP: 5/5
Currently taking Calculus BC, Statistics AP

Please share your stats!

Lmao don’t roast me ok

Demographics: Male, African(Nigerian). California. Public School. Hooks are URM, first-generation *immigrant(not college student). Non-STEM related education in family.

Intended major if this matters: Computer Science

UW/W GPA and Rank: 3.6316 UW, 4.2895 W (I know, yikes). Class doesn’t rank.

Coursework: Currently in AP Calclus BC, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Language and Composition, AP US History, AP Computer Science A+AP Computer Science Principles, C Programming(DE)
AP scores: AP Biology(5), AP Macroeconomics (5), AP European History(5)

Awards:

In my 4 awards slots I put: Science Olympiad Cybersecurity 2nd Regional, Science Olympiad Designer Genes 3rd Regional, Academic Decathlon Mathematics 3rd Regional, AP Scholar International

Extracurriculars:

In my 4 extracurricular slots(in descending order), I put President/Founder of my school’s USA Computing Olympiad Team, Practicing/learning the Korean Language, Vice President of my school’s USA Biology Olympiad Team, and Junior Manager/Assistant of online academic help community with 160k members over multiple platforms.

No previous summer programs.

Essays: For first essay I spoke about being a first generation immigrant and the need for exchange between cultures. It was praised by reviewers.(9/10).
For my second essay I talked about my love of problem solving. I thought it was a fun story, whether or not it catches the AO’s eyes is anyone’s guess. (7/10).
For my third essay I spoke about the importance of groups, and how I wish to give back to the MOSTEC family after all that they have taught me. Tbh, I have no idea how to make this special or memorable in any way. (7/10)
For my fourth essay I spoke about my speech impendiment and my accent. Really a mid essay thinking back on it. (6.5/10).
For my fifth essay I spoke about building a database to track the cleanniess of water around the world. I thought it was very good but also very formal and nerdy-sounding Fs. (8/10).

For my two optional essays I spoke about my personal interests. If I do not come off as an interested person in the first optional essay that was a waste of time and possibly a liability. I spoke about COVID in the second optional essay.

Hope this helps. I will likely delete this and edit it to be more bare bones after decisions come out.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when results are coming out. Late march or early april ??

Sometime in the week of April 15.

Can someone chanceme?? Feeling really anxious about getting in or not lol

Hispanic Male interested in Biology (URM)
SAT: 1560
GPA: 3.98 UW, (school doesn’t weight but my rigor is highest offered)
Highly ranked public school, household income >100k, and parents went to grad school (not for STEM tho)
Courses: AP Physics C, AP Calc BC, AP CS A, AP Chemistry, AP Statistics, etc.

AP Scores: AP Human Geography (5), AP Chemistry (5), AP Stats (3)
Awards: Finalist in two international competitions (one for math, other for biology), award from summer program, science olympiad award(s) at state competition

Summer programs: Two local-ish to my area for URMs, both with ~25% acceptance rate

EC’s: Science olympiad, tennis team, math team, jazz band

Work/volunteering: Lab internship w/independent project, and tutoring for three different organizations (in AP Chem and math)

Essays are really good, but the “Why MOSTEC” essay may be a bit generic

LORs:

Math Teacher (9/10): He knows me pretty well and understands me as a student and person
English Teacher (10/10): She told me she wrote a good letter lol
GC (6/10): Don’t think I’ve ever had a full conversation with her and idek what she would write about other than numeric academic performance

Any insight would be very much appreciateddddd

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with your application. You will likely get in. Thank you for sharing stats.

Were these international competitions IMO/USABO?

Thanks!

haha no, nothing crazy like that

the math was a modeling paper competition with ~700 teams competing and the bio was a STEM paper competition with ~1600 people competing

the STEM one is not well known because it was only held during 2020 b/c of the pandemic
the math one on the other hand is fairly well known, as far as modeling competitions go, but is nothing in comparison to imo, usamo, etc.

Ahh makes sense.

Well, still playing the waiting game! 2.5 months for decisions lol.

1 Like

wdym…I thought results come out in like 1.5 months…

we’ve waited about a month and a half roughly. results are out in a month.

I’ve heard that results for MIT MOSTEC should begin to roll out starting this Friday, April 15th

this is from past threads and from discussing with past alumini!

Hoping for the best for everyone!

Haha yupp, we’re in the endgame now.

Today’s April 15th, results should be coming out starting today

Good luck to everyone!!!

Good luck to you as well!

Has anyone gotten their decisions yet?

1 Like

I have not

Me neither

Is there a chance they won’t release it today?