Money

<p>Does anyone know if uw madison's tuition is fixed?</p>

<p>bumpp !</p>

<p>If you mean is it fixed at one level throughout your four years, the answer is no. Based on past practice you can expect a tuition increase of some amount every year.</p>

<p>No it’s not fixed, UW usually raises it every year. If you live in Minnesota, it’s based on how much the U of M raises their tuition.</p>

<p>I am OOS and I am choosing UW Madison over UiUC because of money…UIUC’s tuition costs about 31000 but then it’s fixed through out the next 4 years… and UW madison costs about 24000 but then it increases every year… I can’t decide.</p>

<p>Assume a 5-6% increase/year plus the Madison Initiative bumps which are fixed.</p>

<p>Choose the school for the factors other than the money difference- then you won’t be upset if your choice ends up costing more than the one you really wanted. This is the UW site so we tend to think UW is the better choice, but go where you think the academics and atmosphere most suit you. Decades later the cost difference will be a nonissue but the experiences will shape your future. UW is trying to maintain/improve the access of students to classes in an economic climate where many schools are cutting back- something else to consider.</p>

<p>I’m also confused by its financial certification. It says it requires 41,000. Does it mean it really costs that much. Any current student could explain this please. What if I try to be thrift…</p>

<p>Yanchen- you must be a foreign student. Most students won’t know about this. The amount is likely determined by your probable travel expenses plus the average amount it costs students for school and living expenses. They don’t want foreign students stuck here because they ran out of money, unable to return home or work due to visa restrictions and therefore become a financial burden. Do not try to be too thrifty, decades later you will regret not taking advantage of all you can while at UW (this also applys to locals).</p>

<p>So much THX. My family just thought that we have to give that much money to the college, so I was afraid that it would cast too great a burden on my parents. Now I’m quite determined that I would enroll. Anyway, If I actually do, I think I’ll need your juniors,seniors’ help in the future.</p>

<p>Yanchen- Look up info for international students on the UW website. I’m sure many of your questions will be answered and I’m sure you can get email contacts for foreign students as well.</p>