Move in dates

<p>Is it better for freshman to move in on Wed. or Thurs. to get acclimated or wait until Fri. or Sat. when there are more students around? Just wondering what folks have done in the past that seemed to work best.</p>

<p>We drove to Blacksburg on Thursday and moved son in bright and early on Friday. The move in went very smoothly, they have it organized very well. We spent Friday night participating in things they had going on for parents and students (movie on the drillfield, etc.). I am not sure how many things are going on for students earlier in the week, so waited until Friday. They had things going on both Sat. and Sunday for students, but there was plenty of time for son to get acclimated before classes began on Monday. I know this upcoming year, they are starting a week later than they did this past year. Classes begin Aug. 25th this year.</p>

<p>Thanks septembermom, We are about 3.5 hours from VT, so we are thinking of driving up early Friday morning and moving him in, then spending the night before returning on Sat. I didn't realize they had activities for the parents that weekend....that sounds fun and a good way for this soon to be emotional mom to keep her mind off of the fact that she's leaving her firstborn at college. :)</p>

<p>KandK,
We had a long drive (12 hours), so did the Thursday trip down. We got son moved in, did trip to Christiansburg for Wal-Mart shopping trip, husband and son dealt with computer and printer hook up stuff. Son met up with kids he had met at orientation, husband and I enjoyed the pool at hotel. Friday night they had a cook-out and then a movie, so after saying goodbye to son, the movie took our minds off the sniffling! I don't recall son sniffling one bit when he walked across the drillfield to meet up with friends! It is hard to believe the first year is over-you will be amazed how quickly the year goes by.</p>

<p>what sort of activities they have for parents. I am thinking of returning to miami on friday the 22.</p>