Move-in Day and Convocation..?

<p>Hi. I'm a transfer student attending UW-Madison this fall. I know that the move in day is Aug 30th, followed by a convocation on the 31st that's required for all freshman and transfer students. My question is that how necessary is it that I move in that day and attend the convocation? My parents bought tickets for a Packer game on Aug 30th (they bought it earlier this year so I wasn't aware of the schedules yet)..this would be my first Packer game so I would really like to go. But it is a 4-hour drive from where we live, and we were planning on staying the day after to tour and whatnot. </p>

<p>I was thinking about either moving in early that day and just leave from Madison, or move in on the 31st when we get back, but either way, I'm going to miss that convocation. On anybody's experience/opinion, how necessary is it to attend the convocation? Would I be ok if I skipped just that one out of all the welcome events? :| </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Probably fine. …</p>

<p>Packers trump welcome speeches and dorm move in dates for most. You can contact Res Halls and your housefellow (via email- will be available closer to move in) to explain your absence and get any needed info. Enjoy the game.</p>

<p>You are totally fine missing convocation, that is for sure. Like wis75 said, just try to contact the res hall you are in and let them know you will be moving in a little later. Go Pack!</p>

<p>I didn’t go to convocation my first year, but was required to go later on as a staff member. It’s not like you’re missing the key to your entire college career. The one thing you may miss out on is a free copy of the Go Big Read book, but then again, you may be able to get a free copy afterward too.</p>